What's new
Personally, I really love the MiSTerCade and have been using it regularly ever since beta testing it. I’m Gillaxian, also printed on the pcb. It’s the best mister cabinet solution there is right now.
There may be nuances, but they’re far from dealbreakers for me. No product is perfect, but this one is best in class atm.

Sorry to hear the MiSTerCade was to blame for your MiSTer divorce.

But I don’t think it should be a surprise that you were kicked from a discord server that is dedicated to a product you don’t even use anymore. Plus you were given the courtesy of a heads-up and thanked for your help testing. Seems like it’s best to just move on and enjoy the games you have.
If you need discord contact ID’s from people you chatted with there, let me know and I’ll get them for you. Just let me know.

It looked to me like DJSheep was saying the MiSTer's differences at the moment lead him to go back to physical hardware, not the MiSTerCade itself? So I can understand the confusion and disappointment in being removed from the MiSTerCade community discord after providing help bringing it to life, support, and promotion of it. Add onto that, that he critiqued MiSTer on the AP forum and was removed from Discord. Maybe I'm missing more context here... but I can understand how that feelsbadman.

It's a very small, private Discord, invite-only, dedicated to supporting the Mistercade. Channels for beta testing, documentation, discussing FPGA news and how it impacts the hardware, etc. And of course BSing and social stuff, as people naturally do. I know because I was a member of it myself when I was briefly helping beta test. I left voluntarily for my own reasons not worth getting into, but there's no bad blood with @misteraddons for the record, wasn't about him.

I really couldn't care less who's in there now, or the politics of it. But it just seems worth making clear that it's a small handful of people and not public, it's a support server for a commercial product. So if he felt like it was odd to have someone in there who was publicly saying they were no longer interested in the product it's not that weird to think keeping it to just the active support folk was the better option.

Honestly don't see any real reason to air this out in public at all, but as long as it's come up seems fair to give that context is all. Calling it a "community discord" isn't really accurate. It's not like being banned from this forum because you said you were selling your PCBs and doing pure FPGA or something.

Regardless, I think a two-way conversation about it before deciding would have been better. That's not how you treat people who helped you, especially voluntarily and without compensation, giving you suggestions for improvement. We all know the best decisions are made when surrounded by yes men...

Last edited:
It's a very small, private Discord, invite-only, dedicated to supporting the Mistercade. Channels for beta testing, documentation, discussing FPGA news and how it impacts the hardware, etc. And of course BSing and social stuff, as people naturally do. I know because I was a member of it myself when I was briefly helping beta test. I left voluntarily for my own reasons not worth getting into, but there's no bad blood with @misteraddons for the record, wasn't about him.

I really couldn't care less who's in there now, or the politics of it. But it just seems worth making clear that it's a small handful of people and not public, it's a support server for a commercial product. So if he felt like it was odd to have someone in there who was publicly saying they were no longer interested in the product it's not that weird to think keeping it to just the active support folk was the better option.

Honestly don't see any real reason to air this out in public at all, but as long as it's come up seems fair to give that context is all. Calling it a "community discord" isn't really accurate. It's not like being banned from this forum because you said you were selling your PCBs and doing pure FPGA or something.
That makes sense, thanks for the extra context Aurich... it's the lack of details like this that could make it seem more severe than it actually is to onlookers.

The fact that it's a channel meant for beta testers to help with current/future products means it's a part of Misteraddon's business and I can understand better where he's coming from. I also agree it would have probably felt a little more respectful to ask if DJSheep was still interested in beta testing, especially since good & dedicated testers are hard to find.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to upcoming products, regardless :P Express, VS, and Remote please!

Last edited:
Regardless, I think a two-way conversation about it before deciding would have been better.
Sure, totally reasonable. I just don't know that we, as a forum, need to be in the middle of it to turn it into a ten-way conversation. Too late lol, so I just wanted to add a little context, not picking sides or anything.

Mistercade is a business. I think it's a cool product, I use mine and enjoy it.

And as an enthusiast I'm also happy to see more competition.

But, I know how hard he worked on the product, how much testing etc he does, and I get it if he feels protective over keeping his business dealings to a small circle and doesn't want to get involved in drama or other competitive products etc.

AP is not his personal forum and I definitely think it's cool that we have discussions in this thread about everything, other products, lay of the land etc. I'm not anyone's dad, just trying to add my 2 cents in a way that seems fair.

Just for transparency, us testers did get something in return for our work. We got multiple copies of the Mistercade in various states of beta, all in working condition, as well as add-on hardware for us to keep. That’s more than can be said from other creators I’ve beta tested for in the hobby. Some of these guys will charge you for beta units, or require you to send them back.

Personally I don’t do beta testing in hopes I’d get anything in return. Including favor. But being apart of the process and helping out the hobby vet more products is why I do it. YMMV

To be clear, I'm not saying @misteraddons is a bad guy or that this is a bad product. I don't own one or have any skin in the game; however, it does look pretty damn cool and seems like a great way to help ensure this hobby stays alive in the future. Our original boards aren't going to last forever after all. However, what I am saying, is that the kneejerk reaction to remove @djsheep seemed off considering what a standup and helpful guy DJ Sheep is to this community. Seems strange to burn bridges over nothing. In any case, that's my two cents, not that anyone gives a crap.

Just for transparency, us testers did get something in return for our work. We got multiple copies of the Mistercade in various states of beta, all in working condition, as well as add-on hardware for us to keep. That’s more than can be said from other creators I’ve beta tested for in the hobby. Some of these guys will charge you for beta units, or require you to send them back.
Yeah, really excellent point, I'm still using my final beta unit tbh. I have the final finished board, that I paid for, but it's still in a box because what I have is working and I just haven't bothered to switch it over.

Did I contribute to the beta process? Yeah, hopefully what I did was helpful. Was it a lot? Nah, I came in at the end, gave some feedback, tested some things, possibly found an issue to watch out for, and that's it. I got 'early access' to hot hardware, it was fun, and I wasn't taken advantage of. It feels like win-win to me.

I'm not a shill, I'm not paid off, I support the product because it works well and I know how much thought and testing went into it because I was there for some of it. Several of my friends have bought them after seeing mine.

Sometimes it sits gathering dust, sometimes I find a reason to pull it out. I got it up and running again the other night to load the Street Fighter Alpha 3 Mix ROM hack. Really great to be able to run a hack with 'accurate hardware support' easily like that. I don't care about the real PCBs vs FPGA debate, I'm about using what works for any given situation or night. I like having it in my arsenal.

I am more disappointed in the way it was handled than anything else really. It honestly feels like I was being punished for having an opinion outside of the small minded "yes" mentality the MiSTer community appears to thrive on.

FWIW, just because I am not currently using the device, have my own unshilled opinions about the MiSTers performance in general and how a JAMMA/MiSTer interace fits into my personal gaming regiment, it 100% doesn't mean I couldn't continue my testing if it was required.

I work as a QA Lead for a profession. It's my day job. Not just some beta testing I do in between streams and tweets. The things I've tested in the past for work are a far cry from what I'd enjoy in my spare time, that doesn't stop me from doing the job.

It's the same as any other craft. We all know someone who's a "graphic artist" or a "DJ" but there is a difference in quality of work from a professional.

Don't really expect anything in return outside of some sort of decency, and that's the overarching issue here. As @Joko3 said, a brief conversation before getting the kick would have been more than suffice. Anyone who can read between the lines can see the kick is because of a differing point of view. Even in the message that was the genesis for the kick, I am still offering support to one of his customers.

Also, LOL, I'm not really counting the hardware required for testing as "payment" either. I have boxes of multis, devices, superguns and other things used for testing that just sit there. The developers are more than welcome always to pay for return shipping to have their test equipment returned. It never gets used after the final product is released, it just sits.

I brought this to light as some of you wonder where some of the great creators we've seen come and go have actually gone. It's shit like this that eventually eats away at people in the hobby and forces them to get up and ghost eventually.

Like I said in DMs, it's not personal and no hard feelings. My DMs are still open. If you'd like back on my server we can discuss. Perhaps I mistook your comment about MiSTercade gathering dust as disinterest in continuing to test? My Discord server has fewer than 20 people on it and I try to keep it a tight group. I really do appreciate the conversations we've had and testing you've helped me with.

since months it's out of stock , how people do to have one ? i registered to send me alert when available but i never see one in stock ,

since months it's out of stock , how people do to have one ? i registered to send me alert when available but i never see one in stock ,
Out of curiosity where are you located? I’ve had the listing up for months, first labeled pre-order then standard stock for the last few weeks. I have one more small batch to test before listing but there’s a chance you live in one of a few countries I don’t currently ship to and that’s why it shows up as out of stock.

Out of curiosity where are you located? I’ve had the listing up for months, first labeled pre-order then standard stock for the last few weeks. I have one more small batch to test before listing but there’s a chance you live in one of a few countries I don’t currently ship to and that’s why it shows up as out of stock.
Last time I checked Paris is located in France :)

Back