What's new
I'm definitely not caught up in it personally, just curious!

My A1/Jammafier delivery got delayed by FedEx, so here's hoping it pops up on Monday!

IF you like your 15khz games scaled by a factor of 2 (@ 640x480).

I want/need 5x (@ 1600x1200) and you/other LCD users should too.
Damn I mean even 4x (@ 1920x1080) should be thought of as bare minimum for LCD folks.

Nothing against Zim, he is a great designer and a good guy.
For its indented use the A1 seems fantastic... But again its NOT optimal for LCD users and it irks me anyone would suggest it was!
The A1 is not really 640 if you want to get down to specifics, more like 2000+.
I guess this is a bit like the MISTer/Mame discussion, and comes down to good enough vs tweaking and and going OCD. If you want to go with custom profiles and whatnot, Jammafier + TSH + OSSC should be a good combo, the TSH takes makes OSSC a bit less painful to use with arcade boards.

I'm transparent about this, I don't want people to buy my stuff and not like it, I even list OSSC on my website for use with vewlix:

https://irkenlabs.com/jammafier/jvs-cabinets/taito-vewlix

One thing uniqe to the A1 though, is this :D :
https://irkenlabs.com/retro-scaler-a1/tested-sources
Totally! I nor Invzim have ever claimed this is meant as a solution for LCD owners. I have had an amazing results with the setup on the vewlixs (although its not its meant use case scenario). I use invizim's triple setup, push that to the OSSC then the VP50Pro. Its a long, expensive chain of devices, but it gives the results I want for now on the LCDs. Until someone makes a dedicated scaler for arcade pcbs for use on LCDs, this is the the best solution I have, and im very happy with it thus far. Invzim has done an amazing job, workmanship is excellent, and the devices are simple to use, they make life so much easier. Plus they work and i dont have to fiddle with anything, no button pushing configuring, etc..!!!!

Maybe in a next iteration we can have a jammafier with a built in trisync helper with the ability to turn the TSH circuit on/off. The A1 scaler progress to the A2 where it does higher scaling/ maybe sync rate adjustments, maybe support 24khz games :D

Anywho, love the products, will keep buying them as needed, plus hopefully you got future projects/products planned.

Jammafier showed up today!

Found out that the Vewlix monitor doesn't like the Atomiswave one bit. But audio and controls seem to work!

Still looking for another VGA cable so I can test out the A1 scaler and see if that solves my issues with the Atomiswave, or test any non-31k native PCB.

Found out that the Vewlix monitor doesn't like the Atomiswave one bit. But audio and controls seem to work!
AFAIK Atomiswave outputs CSYNC and not H/V sync, even via the VGA connector, so thay may be it - so yes, the A1 will separate that into H/V sync and output the untouched RGB.
Had a few conflicting reports on analog bypass from Atomiswave, so please report back.

Found out that the Vewlix monitor doesn't like the Atomiswave one bit
It is coming from the Atomis directly or from the Jammafier?
Either way, same result.
AFAIK Atomiswave outputs CSYNC and not H/V sync, even via the VGA connector, so thay may be it - so yes, the A1 will separate that into H/V sync and output the untouched RGB.
Had a few conflicting reports on analog bypass from Atomiswave, so please report back.
In 31k I get "No Signal".

In 15k I get a black screen.

Either way, same result.
If you take 31khz directly from the Atomis (D-SUB) and feed that into the OSSC (AV3:RGBs) you can output DVI/HDMI to the Vewlix LCD at 2x (that will work).
This is also the safest method, as taking 15khz from the Jammafier directly will yield levels too high to use with the OSSC (needs a trisync helper to knock it down).

Been testing boards against the Retro Scaler A1 and came across an oddity!

Shadow Force won't boot with the Jammafier for me. 5v just goes from 0.00v up to 0.03 and clicks back down to 0.00v repeatedly. Tried reseating everything, still nothing. All other boards seem to be working fine on the Jammafier, and Shadow Force works in other cabs fine.

Been testing boards against the Retro Scaler A1 and came across an oddity!

Shadow Force won't boot with the Jammafier for me. 5v just goes from 0.00v up to 0.03 and clicks back down to 0.00v repeatedly. Tried reseating everything, still nothing. All other boards seem to be working fine on the Jammafier, and Shadow Force works in other cabs fine.
That's a no bueno, verify with external multimeter if you have it - may indicate a short on the 5V rail, or inadequate power supply. The Jammafier has passive power delivery, and only measures.

I managed to find a problematic pcb when used with the tri-sync helper + OSSC.

Tetris The Grand Master 2 Plus (which is weird on its own with a 61.68 hz sync) is making it do something weird with the sync: on c-sync mode the OSSC doesn't see any sync, on h/v mode it's showing a higher refresh rate somewhere above 62 hz and really acting up at certain scales. 2x is a flashing rainbow mess, 3x was horizontally squished, 4x was fine. all showed wobbly sync in the first few lines. the signal would only flash on my Vewlix L AMI monitor.

I ran a brief test without the tri-sync helper and the OSSC was able to sync correctly which leads me to believe it's the tri-sync helper's sync processing that's acting up. I don't suppose there's a way I could bypass the sync processing while getting the attenuation, is there?

This is what I've always said about Tri-sync... For OSSC users raw sync at scart levels (8pin mini din-2-scart for low pass) is best.

I've asked for Zim's help and offered to pay him for his time developing something optimal for US (OSSC+LCD users).

But he insists this IS best for everyone and I just don't understand why.

I paid Frank to make something for US, he did... It was said to be unsafe. I don't want to be responsible if that is true, and I use mine all the time. So much drama, all I want is a solution. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't make the OSSC.. - maybe some parameters on it to tweak?

The wobbly stuff in your picture is an artifact caused by an unstable PLL, normally pre/post coast parameters, which is tunable on the OSSC.

@PARTY MAN X - the TSH works ok with other boards in your setup?

Last edited:
@invzim The TSH has been working great with the original Tetris The Grand Master (ZN2-based), that's the only other JAMMA board I own at the moment.

I might try tuning the pre/post coast parameters in h/v mode, but I have doubts as to whether that will fix the display on the Vewlix monitor with the sync being detected as 62hz. Admittedly, that could just the Vewlix monitor not being particularly good...

EDIT/UPDATE: I got it working in csync mode by adjusting the h.sync tolerance on the ossc. it's working and displaying absolutely perfectly now.

Last edited:
TGM2 has a really messed up refresh rate natively so I'm not surprised in the least it's problematic on OSSC. OSSC does a straight scale to higher resolutions and a majority of LCD panels expect specific timing that is as close to the standard HDMI timing resolutions as possible. Once you deviate from 59/60hz you will get YMMV results on a LCD panel with scaling the signal and not attempting to correct the output.

At least as a test this weekend I can move things around in my basement and do some poking as I have all the hardware you would need for this. I don't expect anything worthwhile in terms of "fixing" issues and just confirming what I believe: that your display hates the 62hz-ish signal being crapped out.

Tri-Sync Helpers will be available for new and existing customers as soon as the Chinese manufacturer can make and ship them :D
Scheduled completion is now 15th of June, meaning they should be available for sale end of June.

Tri-Sync Helpers back in stock! Did QA on about 20 and they all check out fine, things are so much easier when it's no firmware :D

Solder quality looks really nice, now idea how they get the joints shiny with lead-free solder.

To make things a little easier going forward, I've made a bundle with the Jammafier+TSH at a slight discount, just to encourage customers to get what they need from the start.
2020-06-16 tsh 2-1.JPG

Hello,

i received the tri sync helper and i ran into an issue where its switching the sync rapidly from 264p 59.59hz to 261p 60.28p.

my set up is cps3 =>Jamma Extender => jammafier => try sync helper => vga cable => OSSC upscaler => hdmi-VGA cable => the vewlix monitor.

try sync helper is set on CS

If anyone is running this setup and can give me some tips to trace the issue that would be great. Thanks in advance to everyone.

Attachments

• DC59DF2E-BDA4-43C7-91DA-DA74A16C858C.jpeg
    DC59DF2E-BDA4-43C7-91DA-DA74A16C858C.jpeg
    894.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 9A35A9B4-23BB-476B-AE96-55A9B8BF4628.jpeg
    9A35A9B4-23BB-476B-AE96-55A9B8BF4628.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 678A8A5E-0C2A-4565-A173-9F533AC74520.jpeg
    678A8A5E-0C2A-4565-A173-9F533AC74520.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 130
Back