What's new

seventhbigsmoke

Student
Reaction score
So I've got a battle gear 3 tuned 2.03jp twin cab I'm trying to clone the good drive to an SSD and needing some help if anyone could please that would be awesome. I tried to dd the drive and tested the SSD but didn't seem to work so not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20210704_131514.jpg
    IMG_20210704_131514.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 365
Try cloning it first to a mechanical drive.

Also, while you have the original drive connected, make an image out of it, 7zip it and upload it to Mega please.

So tested it and the drives boots but no freeze's on the taito boot screen. So I'm lost on what to do.

It now freezes with the original drive you tried to clone?

It gets a can't connect to network then just locks up I tried to put credits and sometimes after reboot it will take credit and just freeze. I just paid a lot for this machine and the drives are dying one is completely dead now this one is acting weird.

Why are you so sure it's the drive? What voltages are you getting from the PSU?

My other drive was working and ended up dying and no longer booting I tested it on my other board and nothing. This game was working 100% when I got it to my location. It's not very hard to break these old ide hard drive pretty much like glass inside one wrong move and your done.

I disagree. Mechanical hard drives outright dying is very rare. And they're definitely not glass. As long as they're not spinning, they take significant amounts of beating. Look up shock tolerances.

The fact that two of your drives malfunction makes me question if there's something else wrong with your setup. Low 12V could explain it.

I disagree. Mechanical hard drives outright dying is very rare. And they're definitely not glass. As long as they're not spinning, they take significant amounts of beating. Look up shock tolerances.

The fact that two of your drives malfunction makes me question if there's something else wrong with your setup. Low 12V could explain it.
I plugged the second drive into a PC and it won't even detect so it's dead for sure. I'll check all the voltages when I head back and let you know.

Beware that connecting these drives to a Windows machine without properly write protecting them will result in important data being overwritten and ruined.

"Can" result, not "will". I connected my Taiko 14 drive to a Windows 10 machine before hearing about this and it was fine.

Also, OP already imaged his drive once and it still boots too.

I agree it's better to be safe than sorry, but the issues OP is having are not related to the drive being imaged.

Beware that connecting these drives to a Windows machine without properly write protecting them will result in important data being overwritten and ruined.
I think my hdd image might of got ruined cause it freezes once I put a coin in or when it gets to the game screen. Which it never did before I might need to find another HDD that is working and make a clone of that. I learned to use DD now instead of windows 10

I think my hdd image might of got ruined cause it freezes once I put a coin in or when it gets to the game screen. Which it never did before I might need to find another HDD that is working and make a clone of that. I learned to use DD now instead of windows 10
Are you sure it’s not a voltage issue? Problems with the power supply like low +5v or +12v? I know that if I don’t have enough +5v on my Time Crisis 4 pcb (which uses a hard drive) it will crash. Don’t forget that the Namco System 246 is a very power hungry system, under +5 volts can cause some issues.

out of interest what would be the best way to clone a drive using a windows machine without overwriting any data?

The correct way to dump an HDD image is:

Windows:
USB to PATA adapter, USB Write blocker and HDD Raw Copy.

Linux:
USB to PATA adapter, disable the automounter, dd or ddrescue.

The correct way to dump an HDD image is:

Windows:
USB to PATA adapter, USB Write blocker and HDD Raw Copy.

Linux:
USB to PATA adapter, disable the automounter, dd or ddrescue.
Ah usb write blocker that was the missing piece, I didn't even realise they were a thing, cheers for the info

Back