What's new
I think it's definitely power related. If you have the gear, I would suggest recapping both the Naomi and the PSU (and do the Blast PSU too while you're at it).

I think it's definitely power related. It could be the PSU or it could be the Naomi. If you have the gear, I would suggest recapping both (do the Blast PSU too while you're at it).
I don't mind recapping the naomi or the sun psu.
I do eventually want to recap the blast psu somewhere down the line (just because i watched a run down on someone else's and seems to be a much more massive project.)
any reliable places to buy cap kits for the n2 and sun?

I'm also still not at all opposed to getting an atx psu in here I just have no clue what i need besides an adapter harness and the psu itself...

I never buy cap kits. I jot down the cap values and then order from Digikey.

Blast and Sun PSU are really quick to recap as long as you have a decent set of tools. Naomi is more of a PITA.

I'm also still not at all opposed to getting an atx psu in here I just have no clue what i need besides an adapter harness and the psu itself...

Nothing else needed.

I never buy cap kits. I jot down the cap values and then order from Digikey.

Blast and Sun PSU are really quick to recap as long as you have a decent set of tools. Naomi is more of a PITA.
Copy. I know I also could but I tend to worry about ordering the parts individually and only realizing a grave error after installation..
Would you happen to have your part list for both written down somewhere? If you don't mind my asking.

Nothing else needed.
Oh really. So I'd essentially just be running the mains of the psu out of the cab then? I would like it to boot up in tandem with the blast but I could figure out a way to get both running on the same switch externally I'm sure... Since I have all my cabs hooked to a mains killswitch with a wireless remote.

Cap lists for SUN PSUs are here:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/sun-psu-capacitor-maps.5425/

Don't have the other two on hand. Maybe someone else has done them, I don't know.
Awesome thanks so much! and I'll do some digging. I would have to believe somebody else has them written down somewhere online.

I would first test to see how well the ATX PSU works with the Naomi before figuring out how you want it hooked up for the long term.
Someone else in here showed me their Naomi set up with an atx psu and said it was their main set up so I assume it works just fine.
I also found this adapter so it seems common to set up. at least from a first glance.

um. so. hey all.
the super cap on my n2 is almost completely lifted away from the mother board...
this of course cannot be a good thing. at all.
but wouldn't this certainly be the cause of all my issues?

and upon closer inspection there was this other cap here that was so oddly soldered in that when i prodded it very lightly it just snapped...
jesus christ... the fuckers i bought i this from have almost certainly been feeding my headache alone.

also what in the hell is going on over here?? (pic 3 and 4) some kind of modification or did they just leave some junk laying across the soldering paths?

Attachments

• FXSuUeJ0.jpg
    FXSuUeJ0.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 70
  • n92DTe5T.jpg
    n92DTe5T.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 58xY6-92.jpg
    58xY6-92.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 65
  • bqZB-Lco.jpg
    bqZB-Lco.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
the Naomi 2 complete with the netdimm, I buy it all together or separately. If it's together, you shouldn't have disarmed it. he should have returned it to the seller so that he can respond for the damaged or in poor condition product, something similar happened to me, I simply returned it and they returned my money, or have demanded a change of product, now if the guarantee has already expired, could you show how is internally the dimm with cf

the Naomi 2 complete with the netdimm, I buy it all together or separately. If it's together, you shouldn't have disarmed it. he should have returned it to the seller so that he can respond for the damaged or in poor condition product, something similar happened to me, I simply returned it and they returned my money, or have demanded a change of product, now if the guarantee has already expired, could you show how is internally the dimm with cf
I bought it pretty recently so it wouldn't be a big deal.
But nothing else really seems to be the matter besides these weirdly replaced components. If anything I might try to seek a partial refund because I don't think this is outside my abilities to fix.
If it's just the caps that are loose or floating then not at all. I'm mostly just confused what the hell that little piece of wire in the picture is. I don't want to remove it if I can get some info about whether it's some kind of mod or if it was just a mistake. Or if I can get a full refund without having to return the unit I'll go ahead and get a unit I'm much more confident is in better condition.

Definitely beyond my knowledge set. I'm also now trying to figure out my issue too...

It was working the other day when I was talking though it, but last night, it stopped working. Black screen, error 1, error 22, power is good..

Definitely beyond my knowledge set. I'm also now trying to figure out my issue too...

It was working the other day when I was talking though it, but last night, it stopped working. Black screen, error 1, error 22, power is good..
Funny. I went to test my Naomi 2 after watching this thread and I’m getting this exact same issue now.

Sometimes black screen
Sometimes error 1
Voltages are good
Fans working
Tried 2 bios chips

Funny. I went to test my Naomi 2 after watching this thread and I’m getting this exact same issue now.
oh no did i start a cursed thread.

But yeah these are identical to my issues.. How weird.. If anyone works through it please let me know.
I'm personally considering finding a brand new motherboard just to see if it also pulls the same crap with my setup.

OK, so I dialed in my voltage even more.

Now I just consistently get error 1.

Very odd. I was Netbooting fine before.

N2 cart slots look super clean. NetDimm cart looks super clean. No bent or corroded pins. My N2 board is like brand new. No obvious damage. Even my supercap looks good.

those chinese naomi 2 that they bought on ebay or aliexpress are all very worn, I honestly tell you more than one will have problems with the naomi 2 games, I recommend doing a complete re-cap. to prevent the problem from continuing

Temperamental AF!

Everything works again today - after a number of re-seats
oh good i'm glad to hear!

I'm going to get in the shop tomorrow probably and start attempting to fully set that super cap in place.
the other cap that fell off i'm going to need to order a new one.. i don't trust myself try to solder that back in with such short legs now...

then we'll see how well the n2 maintains a constant voltage..
everything from the screen turning to black after a successful boot to the splash screens changing made a bit more sense knowing some of those caps were barely even making contact.
OK, so I dialed in my voltage even more.

Now I just consistently get error 1.

Very odd. I was Netbooting fine before.

N2 cart slots look super clean. NetDimm cart looks super clean. No bent or corroded pins. My N2 board is like brand new. No obvious damage. Even my supercap looks good.
hopefully you can find enough fiddling to get it going again... that's really odd if it's that clean.

things suddenly made more sense once i popped my n2 open entirely.. very very nasty
i still haven't gotten a word back from the guy i bought mine from so i think i'm going to contact ebay directly and hopefully get a full refund...
then maybe just get a second mother board...
if anyone has one lying around hmu please.
would rather not drop the asking price for ones coming from japan right now which would most likely be in much better condition than other listings.
but again.. desperate to get my blast city up and going for the shop.

-

oh and while it's on my mind.
but could not find any option on mvc2 to change the credit option to 1 credit = 1 play.
is there any actual way to change this? it was locked to 2 credits = 1 play.
also surprisingly no info online about this or any mention (i could see) in the mvc2 naomi manual.
it's probably something very obvious i'm just looking over. ty!

Back