What's new
Normally with a blast city, you have from the CP, the 10 way connector that goes to the buttons, that 10 way connector is routed to CN8 on the IO and you normally have a cps2 kh to cn8.

Looking at your setup on the videos, that doesn't seem to be the case, you have the cps2 connector direct to the buttons? Is that correct? If so, let's take lemony's adapater/jamma fingerboard out of the equation and plug that cps2 connector directly to the capcom io clone. That should give you the kicks.

We'll tackle the fingerboard a bit later.

Edit:

With the fingerboard, if what I think the layout is based on the pic, the pads that "look" like aren't soldered or making a solid connection to the fingerboard are the ones that are labelled which pretty much line up to the inputs not appearing. How good are you at soldering? This can easily be fixed by just adding some solder into these pins.

1648097290313.png

Last edited:
Normally with a blast city, you have from the CP, the 10 way connector that goes to the buttons, that 10 way connector is routed to CN8 on the IO and you normally have a cps2 kh to cn8.

Looking at your setup on the videos, that doesn't seem to be the case, you have the cps2 connector direct to the buttons? Is that correct? If so, let's take lemony's adapater/jamma fingerboard out of the equation and plug that cps2 connector directly to the capcom io clone. That should give you the kicks.

We'll tackle the fingerboard a bit later.

Edit:

With the fingerboard, if what I think the layout is based on the pic, the pads that "look" like aren't soldered or making a solid connection to the fingerboard are the ones that are labelled which pretty much line up to the inputs not appearing. How good are you at soldering? This can easily be fixed by just adding some solder into these pins.

1648097290313.png
As a gameboy/psp/game gear/nds modder of almost a decade and a half? I'm quite the confident individual >:3
But way ahead of you! The buttons and joystick are now all working! both sides across the board.
struggling to get the cf dimm to boot and load a game to fully test it with a game but in the JVS Test menu all is working!

Of course it ended up being something so simple that I didn't even think to check..
I kept telling myself it had to be something like this and nowhere near as indepth as the blast io creating issues...
Thank you so much for everything! You were such an incredible help... I'll update again if there's problems in an actual game but I doubt it.

I appreciate every little piece of info someone helped drop in here for me even just to consider!
Life savers, the lot of you. But especially you, Caeser! Thanks so so much again.

👏👏👏

well done sir, I told you we'll get there 😁😁😁

now enjoy the system - it's a great system.

if you need help making cf cards - I've just learnt how to do that so I can assist there too

👏👏👏

well done sir, I told you we'll get there 😁😁😁

now enjoy the system - it's a great system.

if you need help making cf cards - I've just learnt how to do that so I can assist there too
It is! I've been wanting to get on Naomi hardware for much too long. Just for myself.
Having the set up for my customers as well is just a plus lol.

And that's very good to know, thank you! I have basically all fighting games for the Naomi (and Atomis converts) on cf cards but i would like to expand at some point..
Axunworks had em for about $11 each so I picked up a good chunk of the library I was already interested in (excluding initial d, crazy taxi, hotd2, and virtual on: ot since i don't have the controller options for them ;()

Thank you again, i certainly would not have gotten here without you!

No problem at all! Glad to have helped...

Next up netboot with a raspberry pi and wipi image! :) :) :)
Honestly yes.
From what I've seen, it's far more stable than the CF route. Which is sad since I now have all these CF cards but oh well.. Looking into premade kits on ebay that aren't terribly expensive.. Most sellers don't have a complete game list on the included sd cards which seems like a no brainer.. But that I'm sure that isn't too difficult to remedy.
Especially compared to setting up a fresh pi.. At least for me lol.

Also went ahead and ordered the Multibios juuuust to have on hand in the future. Hoping it may may possibly help with my CF stuff failing to boot every so often or just black screening. But mostly just wanted it ahead of time for the potential net piforce set up.

Can anyone point me in a good direction for a replacement power supply for the blast city?
Doesn't have to be original. This Sun PSU I have in is so finicky...
Been trying to get the Naomi to boot up with the CF Dimm since 11:30am and it still bounces between both error screens and the black screen..
It's grown increasingly harder for it to properly load a game.
It will sit at 3.3v just fine but only even barely gives me the chance to see it load a game between 4.91v and 4.93v.
Any lower or higher is ng... Then again no guarantee it will even attempt to boot into the 'Naomi 2 Network' screen and load a game.

- Edit -

Did some digging.
Would this combo be okay? Found this adapter specifically first and it says it work from 300w between 1000w
Then just searched for atx psu and found this psu which fit between those parameters...

I noticed there aren't any pots on this psu to adjust voltage. How does this work exactly?
I realize it's a newer psu made for pcs so does it regulate and control voltage automatically for what its presented with?
Oh and is this more for a consolized set up? I'm trying to think how I'd replace it with the stock blast psu and then have it hook up to the blast's io board but doesn't seem doable...

Last edited:
My CF experience hasn't been too bad - I've done about 6 cards. On my blast, it's been freshly re-capped and on my NNC's the sun psu runs rock solid - no issues there, so it's strange to me that you're having so many finicky issues.

I'd try out the netboot solution - just grab a cheap pi3b+/4 second hand, a 64gb micro-sd card, burn chunksins wipi image and control the games to load from your phone :)

I went CF purely to try - I got a really cheap dimm that was on fw 1.02 which I upgraded to 4.02 and bought a cheap CF reader from aliexpress - this setup will be fine for my dedicated monkey ball setup

My CF experience hasn't been too bad - I've done about 6 cards. On my blast, it's been freshly re-capped and on my NNC's the sun psu runs rock solid - no issues there, so it's strange to me that you're having so many finicky issues.
I really don't know why this sun psu is so weird... it works perfectly fine on the surface.
Outputs 3.3v and 5v fine... but the Naomi only wants to load a game at least 2 out of 10 tries...
I haven't been able to get it to load a CF since that first update that everything was working finally...
It just will not boot.. I'm getting so frustrated all over again... What would have even changed to make it gradually work less and less.
It's only loaded a game maybe 3 times out of the probably one hundred times i've tried shutting it down and then turning it back on in the last three(?) days...
I'm sure it's a voltage issue and seriously need a better option than this sun psu methinks..

Someone else in here mentioned their PC power supply for their Naomi but I'm not sure if that's consolized or what...
Would love to go that route but I can't find any clear methods of setting something like that up.

I'd try out the netboot solution - just grab a cheap pi3b+/4 second hand, a 64gb micro-sd card, burn chunksins wipi image and control the games to load from your phone :)
I do want to try the netboot option just to see if it runs smoother with this set up somehow... But I'm in a spot where I just went to get a premade kit and have it be done with.
Having a non working cabinet in the shop during store hours is an issue... Can't exactly afford to have it just sit idle for much longer. They essentially pay for my electric bill lol.
But I'm also afraid of getting it, have nothing be different, then realizing I just bought something I didn't need.

That's so strange. How long are you leaving it turned on? It takes a while for the naomi to go through it's cycle to boot.

You turn it on, wait a number of seconds, and then it should flick over and show the white naomi gd system logo and then it loads up the game, checks the memory and then boots up the game.

That's so strange. How long are you leaving it turned on? It takes a while for the naomi to go through it's cycle to boot.

You turn it on, wait a number of seconds, and then it should flick over and show the white naomi gd system logo and then it loads up the game, checks the memory and then boots up the game.
I've tried to leave it on for several minutes before. when it doesn't just black screen or give an error message.
I'll wait for it to drop in the Naomi 2 splash and abruptly cut, It goes black shortly after, Then normally for me that's when the Naomi 2 Network System splash replaces the black screen and begins to load a game.
But now if it does even get to the splash screen to black screen abrupt cut it will just stay on the black screen.
Like I said I've even let it sit there for many minutes in the hope it was just taking forever but still nothing...

If you're seeing "Naomi2 Network System" then you're in Net Dimm mode, you should be seeing "Naomi 2 GD Rom System" for CF mode.

is there a switch to go between netboot and CF?

Edit: also try a different game - I've had a "black" screen when the card I've used was an incompatible card

If you're seeing "Naomi2 Network System" then you're in Net Dimm mode, you should be seeing "Naomi 2 GD Rom System" for CF mode.

is there a switch to go between netboot and CF?
There is but but it currently is switched into CF mode. I made sure of that.
All times it has loaded a CF game it's said "Naomi 2 Network System" though...
So that's interesting...

ce04660c72c300be.JPG

Went and found a video on axunworks' youtube. he only did it in chinese but i can see that he loads in a cf card at 16:55 or so and then when it boots it does say network system and not gd-rom.
So I guess whatever he figured out here boots into Network System instead. So I suppose that's normal in this case.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSzS7mrXB78&t=1759s

Edit: also try a different game - I've had a "black" screen when the card I've used was an incompatible card
The card I've been trying this whole time was MVC2 though. Which has loaded... But I also did try MB:AA and Gunspike which didn't load once either.

ahh ok fair enough - I guess whatever he's done as part of the mod makes it load up as "network system" or that's how it is for netdimms as I've only got my CF setup on an old dimm board

Last edited:
ahh ok fair enough - I guess whatever he's done as part of the mod makes it load up as "network system" or that's how it is for netdimms as I've only got my CF setup on an old dimm board
yeah i popped in the spare 1.2 gd-rom dimm my kit included originally just to see the difference. however i noticed that dimm boots every single time. without my naomi cutting off its firsr splash screen... it just goes right to "naomi gdrom system"

so i took a video of how my cf dimm loads normally just for reference...
View: https://youtu.be/BpBA-IJsvO4

Yeah that's definitely not right, it shouldn't cut out like that.

This is well and truly beyond me now, but still happy to suggest trouble shooting things.

- if you switch it to "netboot" what do you get? Do you still get the cutting out?
- if you boot without the netdimm installed, what do you get?
- try to remove all other factors, remove lemony's fingerboard out of the picture and what behaviour is shown?

The cutting out is a serious problem and I think some of the other naomi experts will need to chime in as I've definitely not seen this behaviour before - but my CF experience is very limited (I'm talking 4 days since I did mine haha)

Edit: you would never believe what's happening to my Naomi now??? I'm getting the same thing as you are - error 22! Black screen... I tried my Virtua Tennis cart and I'm getting error 01 and I tried my net dimm and it's error22 FMD I hate Naomis!

Last edited:
There are some jumpers under the metal plate of the dimm that should be set a certain way depending on whether you're net booting or using gd-rom (CF). I'm not sure how axun's switch is wired up but I assume it should be linked to these jumpers. Look under that metal plate and check:

NetDimm_Jumpers_conf.png

- if you switch it to "netboot" what do you get? Do you still get the cutting out?
- if you boot without the netdimm installed, what do you get?
- try to remove all other factors, remove lemony's fingerboard out of the picture and what behaviour is shown?
Edit: you would never believe what's happening to my Naomi now??? I'm getting the same thing as you are - error 22! Black screen... I tried my Virtua Tennis cart and I'm getting error 01 and I tried my net dimm and it's error22 FMD I hate Naomis!
So this morning I tried booting the Naomi up
- Once again with the stock 1.0 GD-Rom dimm: boots consistently with the GD-Rom splash screen. No black screens or cutting out.
- Without any cart/dimm plugged in at all: N2 booted half the times I powered it on. When it did boot, it launched into the 'Naomi 2' splash screen then to Error 01 as expected.
But no black screens or cutting out. (This tells me my Sun PSU is probably still not keeping up overall I guess...)
- With Axunworks Net dimm plugged in but no CF card inserted (switch to CF mode): Seemingly booted consistently but no 'Naomi 2 Network System' splash screen.
- With Axunworks Net dimm plugged in but no CF card inserted (switch to Net mode): Did not boot and stayed on black screen
- While Removing Lemony's adapter really didn't change any previous performance with other variations of the previously listed combinations

With everything here tested out I really do think there's just something up with this Sun PSU... Or maybe even the Naomi 2 itself?
I don't get any drops in voltage on my multimeter. when letting it stay powered on. other than the typical tiny bobs up and down between point zero one volts... Nothing drastic I mean.
It's just all I could think being the issue as to why the N2 does not boot consistently... and now not at all into a game.
Still have failed to get it to read a game since those first three times and from what you're telling me, the way it loaded them was not normal.
Having to cut out to a black screen and then bringing up the Naomi 2 Network System splash where it then began loading into memory.

-

Woah what?? Is this maybe just a thing with CF cards I guess then??
I admittedly don't see others use them much and usually go for the netboot setup which seems to work 100% (as an outside viewer lol)
Maybe I will order the piforce kit... just to see... Since I do have my multibios2020 already coming...
Is this your Naomi that was previously running a netboot set up? I'm so sorry to hear that...
However, we're now in this together now and you have my full support to get this shit figured out lol.

Look under that metal plate and check:
I was going to check this out but remembered Axun puts a big warranty sticker right on the edge of the metal shielding...

Last edited:
Back