What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the dust, I didn't realize until I'd put it back in storage and transferred the pics to my computer.

dusty.jpg

Not 100% sure about all of these numbers, if the models doesn't make sense let me know and I'll break out my magnifying glass. ;)

FUJITSU
MSP55LV128T
0624 F50G

PHILIPS
LPC2214FBD144
CE8065 03
TSG0541A

WINBOND (LEFTMOST)
W24257S-70LL

WINBOND (MIDDLE)
W24257S-70LL
031AB202285701AC

WINBOND (RIGHT)
W24257S-70LL
026SB20110700-II1AC

Sorry for the dust, I didn't realize until I'd put it back in storage and transferred the pics to my computer.

dusty.jpg

Not 100% sure about all of these numbers, if the models doesn't make sense let me know and I'll break out my magnifying glass. ;)

FUJITSU
MSP55LV128T
0624 F50G

PHILIPS
LPC2214FBD144
CE8065 03
TSG0541A

WINBOND (LEFTMOST)
W24257S-70LL

WINBOND (MIDDLE)
W24257S-70LL
031AB202285701AC

WINBOND (RIGHT)
W24257S-70LL
026SB20110700-II1AC
The first line in the brand, the second line is the chip model and the speed, and the third line is the internal info like the manufacturing date.

I'm not sure what's with that Phillips chip, though.

That Philip is an ARM7 with flash rom and other things. As I expecte it has the menu and tells the cartridge which game was selected.

I used to have a 138-in-1, it definitely had one of the better menus of any of the chinese multis I tried using. In addition to the ability to disable the games you didn't want, it believe it also had screen shots of all of them when you went through the menu. (In comparison, the 120-in-1 only has a text menu and you can't disable games.)

I used to have a 138-in-1, it definitely had one of the better menus of any of the chinese multis I tried using. In addition to the ability to disable the games you didn't want, it believe it also had screen shots of all of them when you went through the menu. (In comparison, the 120-in-1 only has a text menu and you can't disable games.)
The 138 is definitely the nicest multi in its presentation, but the major disadvantage is that the sub-PCB makes it incompatible with CMVS and AES (unless the dipswitch mod is applied, which nixes the nice menu selection).

Say wut? trolling? me? never! :huh:

(well at least not here on this forum..) :D

If you ask me, this project will work best if the KISS standard is followed (Keep It Simple Stupid). When something like "Web Service" is mentioned for Neo-Geo hardware, I think that's when suggestions are going off of the rails.

All that's really needed is a multi-cart with all legit games (or if using an SD card, the games you want) that will play them bug free, and in a manner that's easy to select and switch between them. Small to no loading times would be a huge benefit that would make it much more appealing. Honestly the XXX in 1 carts mostly achieve this already, minus the numerous problems they have that we're all aware of and make us want a project like this to be a successful replacement.

I say this strictly from a consumer point of view with minimal knowledge on the technical side, and I understand that keeping things simple doesn't mean that its easy to make. Reading Darksoft's posts about what would be involved with making a menu is a good example of that.

Everyone keeps saying how difficult an on screen menu would be to navigate, but is there some reason it couldn't just display the contents of the SD card, folders and all? Sort games using folders by letter or genre, for example - it'd all be up to how to user sets up the card.

While I doubt it'd be possible or that you'd even really want to get anyone else involved, perhaps Krikzz could help out from the software side? Getting exposure from his site could be a good thing (though it could mean a lot more work on your part long term) and people have been bugging him for years to do a Neo Everdrive.

I don't think the navigation is the problem, it's how to run a menu at all.
Yes, but it's been said by several people that navigating 100s of games (should you decide to have all games on the SD card) would be difficult to navigate with both an LCD and an on screen menu. Hell, perhaps that limitation on the LCD could also be solved with the use of folders if Darksoft still decides to go that route.

Figured I'd throw it out there even though it seems like something a bit too obvious.

...what, you're serious? How is making a directory system hard? I did one for my College Programming class in 2007, and I'm an absolutely God-awful coder.

https://developer.mbed.org/users/4180_1/notebook/reading-the-directory-on-an-sd-card/
http://codeandlife.com/2012/04/02/simple-fat-and-sd-tutorial-part-1/

While I know that this is hardly comprehensive, there are more than ample resources online to figure it out, and if you barebonesed it, all you need are a way to display game titles, a way to move up and down through the directory, and code to load the selected game. After that, it's out of the menu system and into the loaded game itself.

I think this line of questioning should stop otherwise you're just going to piss off Darksoft.
We've determined an on-screen menu is needed. just leave it and move on.

If you ask me, this project will work best if the KISS standard is followed (Keep It Simple Stupid). When something like "Web Service" is mentioned for Neo-Geo hardware, I think that's when suggestions are going off of the rails.
Well it was just a brain fart from my end. Knowing this feature exists for the xbox360 optical drive emulator (xk3y features).

x360key is a full-fledged computer system running embedded Linux. It is capable of many things such as
- Emulating the Xbox 360 DVD drive
- Reading USB hard drives and other USB media with various file systems
- Updating itself and other hardware from USB media
- Communicating with the remote and other external USB devices
- And a lot more! (embedded Web server and Wifi connectivity for example)

So yeah.. probably not :rolleyes:

I think this line of questioning should stop otherwise you're just going to piss off Darksoft.
We've determined an on-screen menu is needed. just leave it and move on.
Ow ok, missed that part, moving on.. :thumbup:

Say wut? trolling? me? never! :huh:

(well at least not here on this forum..) :D
Ehhh uhhhh I just....mmm :D It's an idea, but this is already getting quite complicated, let's keep it simple :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back