What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of an on-screen menu if possible. I think the issue with an external LCD is an aesthetic one, especially if you're playing on an AES. Plus, it's not gonna fit in a shock box. As for the flashing of the games...is there any reason it can't just work like the CPS-2 cart with one game at a time? I know the bigger games are a little more than twice the size of the bigger CPS-2 games, but even they only take about 30 seconds to load.

Here's an idea: Would it be possible to add a button that makes the cart act like a multi-slot mobo (I dont imagine people would want to use other than 1-slot with this cart?) to cycle between the chosen games with a wired button on your control panel?
NTM suggested something about virtual slots. I like this idea. Maybe enough memory to flash 4 or 6 games at a time. Then give the cart the ability to auto load those 6 games at the touch of a button to switch just like the old multi slot cabs. I'm sure some enterprising guys could figure out a way to make it work with the original multi slot cabs to change the marquee lights also. (Maybe a new system?)

Could you imagine? Someone could sell repro 4 slot marquees and maybe someone would have the motivation to finally finish one of the EL light replacement solutions. Turn any 1-slot cab into a 4 or 6 slot cab. Even on the AES side I could see someone developing something cool to indicate which game is playing. I could imagine a menu with a graphic of a 4-slot marquee that will display a mini marquee of the games flashed in each slot. You could also replace just the games in one virtual slot at a time rather than reloading all 4 or 6 games. I think this is a good compromise. We all know that after the initial break-in period after receiving the carts most people will settle in on a handful of games that they will play all the time. This way there are several games ready to load automatically. Will be cheaper than having a cart with all games already flashed and also at the same time give this cart something to differentiate it from all of the current carts available.

Here's an idea: Would it be possible to add a button that makes the cart act like a multi-slot mobo (I dont imagine people would want to use other than 1-slot with this cart?) to cycle between the chosen games with a wired button on your control panel?
NTM suggested something about virtual slots. I like this idea. Maybe enough memory to flash 4 or 6 games at a time. Then give the cart the ability to auto load those 6 games at the touch of a button to switch just like the old multi slot cabs. I'm sure some enterprising guys could figure out a way to make it work with the original multi slot cabs to change the marquee lights also. (Maybe a new system?)
This is what I was thinking about as well. Honestly it shouldn't be too hard to pull off and long as there is some header on the cart we can tap into.

Could you imagine? Someone could sell repro 4 slot marquees and maybe someone would have the motivation to finally finish one of the EL light replacement solutions. Turn any 1-slot cab into a 4 or 6 slot cab. Even on the AES side I could see someone developing something cool to indicate which game is playing. I could imagine a menu with a graphic of a 4-slot marquee that will display a mini marquee of the games flashed in each slot. You could also replace just the games in one virtual slot at a time rather than reloading all 4 or 6 games. I think this is a good compromise. We all know that after the initial break-in period after receiving the carts most people will settle in on a handful of games that they will play all the time. This way there are several games ready to load automatically. Will be cheaper than having a cart with all games already flashed and also at the same time give this cart something to differentiate it from all of the current carts available.
Might as well go for six slots then, since 6 slot mobos were the most supported officially. Though the fake 8 slot looked pretty cool.

Would be even better if somehow the MVS board could be tricked into thinking 'x' slots are actually populated (thus saving soft dips, scores, bookkeeping, etc for each) and you could use select/coin in AES mode to switch slots (unibios only?) with no physical button required.

Selectable number of slots if you do it that way, please. I don't want my actual 4 slot having 6 Virtual slots, personally

which tpye NAND? NOR? Tell me part number if you know of any. Problem here is that it must be ALWAYS fast enough to be able to answer to any read request. Easier said than done. That discards NANDs and some other types as their setup time is too long.
you won't find NOR flash with that capacity new nowadays
if you want gigabit flashes you have to go NAND, and probably BGA package

Im not sure if its possible or not, but it would be cool if the cart could have a built in virtual memory card. Since the guy who makes the VMCs isnt making them anymore and doesnt plan to release the schematics.
Wow, ok.
I never said I wouldn't release the schematics. I just ignored you when you asked me in my email. I told you in my email I would post an announcement at some point. That should have been a clue that I wasn't ready to announce anything.

I will be open sourcing my NBM project so the world can do what the please with it. The VMC design isnt 100% mine to give away. The NBM was my invention, I added the VMC to it later from DavidG's schematics. This is well documented on the neo forums.

It actually hurts a bit to here you say I "suck" or am "stupid", when every single project I have created and sold has been in the Neo communities best interest. I kept prices extremely low so everyone could afford them. And you don't appreciate it or think it's enough. Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. I'll be posting a lot of my projects on the NeoDev wiki at some point, all with open source licenses.

Hope that's enough for you.
Once again, I'm late to the party on this one, but just wanted to say thank you for you help, work and input you put in here and throughout the community, NTM. It is very much appreciated.

Can we already make a waiting list?
Hah. Wow. We haven't even nailed down definitively what the thing's abilities and limitations are yet. Why don't we wait for Darksoft to come out with a finalized prospectus before we start asking to be put on a waiting list? And even then, it should be Darksoft himself who says "Okay, the waiting list has opened up". This is a hell of a task, and I don't see it coming to fruition in the near future. There's still so much to be done, so give it time. :P

I ll buy two anyway. If they are AES or MVS only and not two in 1, then i ll buy one of each. :)

2-in-1 would be nice, like one side has the MVS connector, the other side has the AES connector and a plastic cap to protect it, like the SNES carts had. A man can dream, I guess...

Regards.

Let's wait for a working proto before we discuss a list. lol Right now this project is only word on paper.

I do like the enthusiasm.

Keep an eye on the site, the time to commit will happen sooner or later.

So can we take a step forward on this?

I'm thinking maybe have the people who are going to develop this decide what is practical and possible so we can start moving forward.

Maybe give us a couple of options and scenarios with price points and let the community vote. Then we can set something in stone.

There are several projects going on right now. Once this gets started it should move quick. But you can't rush Darksoft. Would you like a list of everything he is trying to finish up right now? It's pretty daunting actually.

There are several projects going on right now. Once this gets started it should move quick. But you can't rush Darksoft. Would you like a list of everything he is trying to finish up right now? It's pretty daunting actually.
Nah I wasn't trying to rush anything. Just didnt think this was going anywhere so trying to make a suggestion to help decide on which way the project would go.

I actually WOULD like a list. Not in order to be facetious, but because I'm honestly curious as to what else he's working on that might pique my interest.

I actually WOULD like a list. Not in order to be facetious, but because I'm honestly curious as to what else he's working on that might pique my interest.
I'm sure I will miss some but I'll try to list them all.

Incomplete former projects:

Analog controls for N2AW conversions
Pin down and fix cause of glitch in Warzard for SuperBIOS
New CPS3 bios to allow faster game loading (first prototype version decreased load time by 12%. Not good enough)

Current Projects:

CPS2 Multi (need to sign new distributor, finish shipping kits already purchased, distribute sound crackle fix kits or do the repair ourselves)
CPS3 reproduction 128mb SIMMs
DECO multigame (promised a donor to finish this before Neo, two years in the making already)

Future projects:

Neo Multigame (not officially announced or started but is inevitable)
Unannounced CPS3 hardware project (50/50 chance right now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back