What's new
is it possible to use top 3000 programmer?
Nope. That’s an EPROM programmer. The ProMan / TL86_Plus is a NAND/NOR programmer with high speed writing. It’s highly recommended IMO. A couple of minutes to program an entire SIMM, if that.

Sorry to be pendantic - here is my security cart. Which chip needs to be reflashed? If its one of the big SMD ones - I will likely need someone to do that for me - I don't have the setup for that.

Attachments

• IMG-2991.jpg
    IMG-2991.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG-2990.jpg
    IMG-2990.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 128
@mathewbeall, no, that won't work just by reflashing the flash. That's a custom SH2. You need the SH2 either replaced or a whole new cart.
Ok - sorry for being dumb on this one.... where can I get a whole new cart with the new BIOS? I just want these SIMM's I just pre-ordered to work! :)

Just for reference and clarity. A regular stock CPS-3 cart from a game contains a "custom" SH-2 processor from Capcom.

In order to use the UltraSIMMs, you require both a "standard" Hitachi SH-2 procesor (as found in the SEGA Saturn, etc) and a BIOS upgrade. If using a regular game cart , or existing "conversion cart", you would need to change the SH-2 processor on the cart, as well as flash the TSOP48 chip with the UltraSIMM BIOS. Both of these tasks are for advanced and experienced users who really know their way around a hot air gun/soldering iron.

If you bought your setup pre-built, it may already have a "standard" SH-2 processor, the only way to find out is open the cart and check. Either way, you're still going to have the flash the UltraSIMM BIOS to the TSOP48 chip to get up and running.

Alternatively, grab a repro cart when they're ready. It's also possible @Mitsurugi-w might still provide the "upgrade to Standard SH-2" service he used to?

Thanks for the additional clarification, djsheep. Much of what you said is still a bit over my head. Just prior to the general news release of the UltraSIMMs, I purchased a superbios/repro cartridge from Darksoft/Mitsurugi as a first step towards putting together a CPS3 setup. I will want the UltraSIMMs for the faster loading.

From what I think I've read, the superbios/repro cart I purchased will require the new bios Darksoft described yesterday in order for it to work with the UltraSIMMs. I do not possess a tech skillset in flashing nor do I have a programmer. It would be very nice to see an optional service to purchase to upgrade the existing repro cart in order to work with this new product.

An easier way to look at it is in order to use the UltraSIMMs with *any* cart, you will need to update the BIOS which involves desoldering, reprogramming and then resoldering a fairly finely spaced chip.

On top of that, if your cart doesn’t have a standard SH2 processor, you will need to replace that.

It seems there’ll be a need for this service also? Just be patient and see what Mitsu says or what services he offers first. Alternatively. I’m sure there’s people on the forum that can help with BIOS upgrades around the world. Not sure how easy it is to source SH-2 processors though?

Ultimately if you’re in a position to, grab a new repro cart and sell on your existing SIMMs and cart. I expect the market to be flooded with them down the line though. Took me a whiles to sell mine off, complete SIMMS and cart with SCSI2SD. But there are sure to be buyers.

Will the new repro carts coming out be any different than the original ones? Debating if I need to buy another one with the new bios... or if I should upgrade my older Darksoft repro cart.

If you already have the repro cart with standard SH-2, it would be wise just to have the new BIOS flashed?

Will the new repro carts coming out be any different than the original ones? Debating if I need to buy another one with the new bios... or if I should upgrade my older Darksoft repro cart.
No, you don't need a new cart. The same cart will work. You just need to update the BIOS.

Will the new BIOS only be compatible with the ultrasimms? I like that I can use the original repro cart with the original simms or repro simms. That is will the new UltraBIOS support the original capcom simms as well?

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to upgrade my bios. Do I lose any features or compatibility?

Will the new BIOS only be compatible with the ultrasimms? I like that I can use the original repro cart with the original simms or repro simms. That is will the new UltraBIOS support the original capcom simms as well?

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to upgrade my bios. Do I lose any features or compatibility?
New BIOS with be compatible with both original and UltraSimms, so you can use your original reprocart with original simms if you still like.

you don't lose any compatibility at all. Actually a few bugs have been fixed. Be sure to check this post, you have the newest BIOS there:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cps-iii-bios-and-cd-releases.36/

It's also posted in the 1st post of this thread.

Back