What's new
It works on the 15Khz, so i gues it must work on the 25Khz as was claimed.

IMG_5077.JPG

Unrelated but tested a Joerg made multi cart at 31Khz also

IMG_5079.JPG
IMG_5078.JPG
IMG_5080.JPG

Defor,

I'm looking to buy one on ebay but it looks like there are two significantly different main boards for these. One has vga and DVI and I think 3 usb ports. The other looks like 4 usb ports and component plugs.

Can either be converted in this way?
The LCD1970NX should NOT have component- that sounds like some larger model-- the 1970NX has VGA, DVI, a mini-din plug for powering the soundbar, and a 4-port usb hub (two sideways, two down)

At this point the VX is untested, and we know the 20" (LCD2070NX) is DEFINITELY not compatible.

send some links to my PM
also, newegg has refurbs that are ok- not great but i've got two so far and other than them mixing up a white and a black they've been in really good shape (although both missing the back cable cover for the stand)
I see.

Anyways, did someone tried 24Khz games on that Chinese Upscaler/Video Frequency converter?

http://www.ebay.es/itm/HD9800-Video...268761?hash=item27fde37c99:g:g30AAOSwfcVUFkf-
I'm pretty sure I've tried Model 2 games on this thing. I remember it working.

The OSSC also works with Model 2 games.
I've used the HD9800 on model 2 and it's pretty good although it does have some artifacting- I haven't gotten the Pi-based controller for it working though.

Guys I got that LCD, what is the best method to test it, with PC, motherboard/game?? Does the naomi with or without a game loaded have a way to test resolutions/rates. Everything else I have in storage at the moment. Can I test with a PC, but I guess i would need an old video card for that.
on the Naomi, if you have bad firmware, you will see wierd interlace in the middle of the image - even at the naomi boot logo, but ONLY in 15k.

on the 246/256 in 15k, you will see a completely screwed up image.

either way, if you enter the service menu check your firmware version and see- right now the only known good firmware is 1.1.10

also found the service manual for the 1970- the V model appears to use the same chipset so it may also be compatible, or flashable with the NX firmware.

Just no USB hub, which is pretty much fine.

Last edited:
the V model appears to use the same chipset so it may also be compatible, or flashable with the NX firmware.
The USB ports being the only difference between the two was was my understanding. both had claimed 15K support from that Amiga thread I linked to.

interestingly the service manual from NEC shows a cute little utility for editing UDID (part of how you set the serial number on the board's NVRAM) and there's buttons they don't talk about that appear to allow loading firmware...
according to the genesis manual, this is definitely doable, but i've got no idea where to find said software.

http://archive.espec.ws/files/NEC 1970NX.pdf

Would be really nice if we could reload the firmware without desoldering the plcc32...

grr.. another black model when i keep ordering white ones...so much for newegg having any more of them now.. i apparently ran them out yesterday :( ... and STILL dont have a white model...

1.2.05 on this one, so i'll have to downgrade it as well

I wonder if NEC's support line could hook you up with a firmware tool?

I have to imagine that any refurb units would have the "latest" firmware updates...

funny that you keep getting black ones, if given the choice I think most people would prefer the black ones.

sadly, after reading that section twice- i appear to need the pcb as well that connects between the video source, monitor, and parallel port on the pc.

EDIT- turns out that after talking to Newegg, apparently the last time i made a ticket, they DID find out what happened, they just never fixed the website...

It seems that they get their refurbs from a supplier (no surprise there) and the supplier sent them 87 "white" models but they got 87 black ones in the boxes tagged as white.

they've fixed the website now at least to show out of stock...
doesn't change that I've now got a white soundbar for a black monitor. :P
if anyone has a white NEC LCD **70 series, I've got a nice new old stock soundbar....

Were there other colors? mine is kind of silvery looking... or is this just what they called "white"

the main colors are white and black. I've seen photos of some model though that's silver on the front and black on the back...

the white one should be all white including the stand and the back of the lcd

Finally got around to reassembling and reflashing all my monitors- I've got a spare PCB for a LCD1970NX with 1.1.10.
I've also got a spare LCD1970NX BK-1 (older model) if anyone's in the USA and wants a verified good firmware.
If anyone needs either a monitor or a replacement board, drop me a line!

I received one in the mail yesterday but haven't opened it yet. Is there an easy way to see the installed FW?

F/W ID CB9SSP10
F/W VER. 1.2.05

you can see this by going to the service menu:
enter the frequency display
press select and reset together
when you get the prompt, press select again
you can see this by going to the service menu:
enter the frequency display
press select and reset together
when you get the prompt, press select again

Mine is 1.1.12. Does this one work with 25k?

actually I didn't test 1.1.12 on 25k, BUT it doesn't work with 15k (try it on a 246/256 for SPECTACULAR results :P

But if I downgrade to 1.1.10 it will work? What kind of chip is it again?

totally you can just pull the chip and reprogram it like I did.
It's a...

EDIT: It's an AMIC A290021TL
Pretty much any programmer with a PLCC32 eprom adapter should be able to program it.

Last edited:
Wow! I think I should read every post in this forum, there's many interesting information hidden :D

I didn't know about this OSSC thing, I just joined the mailing list, let's see if I get a preorder slot soon.

next would be to get some space for one additional LCD monitor.. those things just take too much space (I have already 2x28"CRT+ 1x20CRT + 1x19CRT + 1x14CRT in my small studio room). My XRGB Mini is since 1 year still unopened due to that.. :(

Wow! I think I should read every post in this forum, there's many interesting information hidden :D

I didn't know about this OSSC thing, I just joined the mailing list, let's see if I get a preorder slot soon.

next would be to get some space for one additional LCD monitor.. those things just take too much space (I have already 2x28"CRT+ 1x20CRT + 1x19CRT + 1x14CRT in my small studio room). My XRGB Mini is since 1 year still unopened due to that.. :(
I got my kit about a month ago. The OSSC is awesome, no perfect, but pretty close. I just wish you could get a product that blends the best of both the XRGB mini and the OSSC.

Back