What's new
well I gave up trying to calibrate that BLIPPING gun.
Wow that was frustrating.

Looks like I'll look into setting up a real SEGA gun setup cause cleary, it will be easier then that aimtrak POS.

That's a shame, I was looking into getting one of those @Mrhide. What alternatives are there? Any chance anyone who has the Aimtraks working can make a video guide?

That’s disappointing that you’ve not been able to set it up. Multiple other people have without issue. Have you tried setting it up for Windows so you can learn how it works without adding in the complexities of OpenJVS? Once you’ve done that it might all become clearer.

It’s also possible that something is physically broken. You can use the Aimtrak windows utility to see what the camera in the gun can see to help setup.

I do agree though, a real SEGA gun setup would be far far superior to the aimtraks - just a shame it’s about 5x the price!

Sorry guys i guess i was a little bit pissed last night!

Just to be clear: my problem was trying to calibrate it in Windows only , i never even got to OpenJvs …so the problem is not with OpenJvs!! It is probably just me !

I have tried again and successfully calibrated the gun on the pc upstairs ... I believe my issue was that I was too close to the receiver downstairs and it couldn't complete the "down" calibration. *sigh* Hurray for small miracles I guess.

The short cord on the "receiver" is also a real pain so if you to get that gun, I *highly* recommend getting a USB extender as well.

That being said, if I assign the gun alone to the game, I can't really press the test and service button now can I? Ok on the naomi directly I can but what about the start and coin !? What do you guys do? you have another controller plugged in ? then how to you assign both to the game? I have tried the following and then applied that mapping to the game and I can insert coin and start the game but then of course the gun stops to work ... :muted:

It would be nice if the openJVS could plug into the existing Sega I/O and show up as a secondary I/O ... ( the game does not load when I try that?).

test.jpg

Sorry about all my rambling!

I'm sorry I'm waiting for my Open JVS hat, but why couldn't you daisy chain them to the end of your JVS Controller board? It's got a USB-B Socket, should just work with an A-B Cable into the cab's IO board.

I'm sorry I'm waiting for my Open JVS hat, but why couldn't you daisy chain them to the end of your JVS Controller board? It's got a USB-B Socket, should just work with an A-B Cable into the cab's IO board.

the hat has a USB-B socket so you plugged the other side, the USB-A part, in the naomi.

I have tried the USB-B from the Hat to the usb-A on my Sega I/o, which USB-B port then goes to the naomi USB-A.

The naomi boots, then stays on the black screen loading the game (house of the dead 2 if that matters) and hangs there...

Glad you got the calibration sorted! :D

For the Aimtrak, there are two buttons on the side. They do different things depending on if it's pointed in the screen, or not pointed in the screen. What they do is documented here:

https://github.com/OpenJVS/OpenJVS/blob/master/docs/openjvs/devices/ultimarc-aimtrak

Essentially when out of screen they are coin + start, when in screen they are buttons B and C which correspond to action buttons / reload in some games.

You should remove the line where you attempt to include a device mapping file in a game mapping file, they are different things and that will likely cause OpenJVS to not function properly. If you'd like to have another controller also show up as player 1, you are able to put PLAYER 1 in it's device mapping file to cause it to always be that player. Alternatively you can have it as player 2, and modify the game mapping file to use the player 2 controller for certain inputs (although for the majority of light gun games, the in/out screen aimtrak buttons should suffice). Test/service are non player specific, so you can plug in a controller as player 2 and it will allow you to use the test/service buttons on there.

Daisy chaining the two IOs together will not work, and this is the case for any JVS IO including real SEGA ones. The game specifically request inputs from a specific IO on the chain, you can't just plug in another and expect the game to read from that one as well I'm afraid. It will hang because the JVS Hat doesn't posess the hardware requirements to be daisy chained with another IO, and so both IOs will be trying to reply to the JVS requests causing the game to hang like that. OpenJVS can emulate 2 daisy chained IOs itself for the games that require it however.

Daisy chaining the two IOs together will not work, and this is the case for any JVS IO including real SEGA ones. The game specifically request inputs from a specific IO on the chain, you can't just plug in another and expect the game to read from that one as well I'm afraid. It will hang because the JVS Hat doesn't posess the hardware requirements to be daisy chained with another IO, and so both IOs will be trying to reply to the JVS requests causing the game to hang like that. OpenJVS can emulate 2 daisy chained IOs itself for the games that require it however.
Interesting, learn something new each day, I had my Capcom JVS daisy chained to my Sega, but I never tried running them both at the same time...

Received my Hat a while back. Recently got a working Naomi 2. I have a G29 wheel and the recommended cables and doodads mentioned in the wipi guide so I can use a physical card reader, etc. I still need to order a 6 pin JST so I can build that RS-232 cable.

I messed around and wow, I'm lost. I can get some buttons working... I'm going to have to do some reading to see how I can get the wheel and pedals functioning.

Haha.. lemme clarify - having a challenge with getting the G29 to work. No issues using the wired 360 pad (other than thumbstick sensitivity).

Last edited:
Received my Hat a while back. Recently got a working Naomi 2. I have a G29 wheel and the recommended cables and doodads mentioned in the wipi guide so I can use a physical card reader, etc. I still need to order a 6 pin JST so I can build that RS-232 cable.

I messed around and wow, I'm lost. I can get some buttons working... I'm going to have to do some reading to see how I can get the wheel and pedals functioning.

Haha.. lemme clarify - having a challenge with getting the G29 to work. No issues using the wired 360 pad (other than thumbstick sensitivity).

It takes some knowing your way around linux and SSH into your Pi. you have to copy and manually put the config in

I copied over the config from the openjvs github file for the g29 and submitted it via the webapp. I guess I'll try out the linux/ssh route.

It's been a while since I programmed some stuff on it, but if you use WiPi, you can set up a new controller from there with a pretty easy interface that shows you what you need to do when you're configuring.. ie. press button 1, press button 2 etc.

Hello,

There is already a mapping file for the G29 so I'm suprised it doesn't work. I've heard there are PS3 / PS4 modes for the wheel, it's possibly that the name of the wheel changes depending on what mode you're in and that's why it doesn't work. Have you tried changing the mode?

Are you able to show us what controllers WiPi can see?

Best wishes,
Bobby

Back