What's new

notsonic

Champion
Reaction score
This is just a thought I had. The Cyber Lead 2 was released in 2000 with PS1 and DC controller ports. The tri sync monitor is presumably for Naomi, but Namco really doesn't have any stick/button games on Naomi. The Noir was released in 2007 with Tekken 6 and system 357. Afaik they have no cabinets in between, which is when the 246 was released, around 2001.

So for games like Tekken 4, 5, Soul Calibur 2, 3, etc. what was the cabinet you'd expect to find them in? New Net City? Egret 3? Cyber Lead 2? The Cyber Lead 2 just seems kind of dated with its PS1 interface and curved tube compared to the Egret 3 and New Net City's flat tubes. Especially in 2004.

If 246 was expected to be used in a Cyber Lead, does it have support for the LED marquee?

I wouldnt be surprised if Namco just didnt care to design another new cabinet with a CRT at that point especially since there were already so many cabs out on the market already and LCD tech was emerging more and more

In guam we had the american T5 dedicated cab.
Also the showcase cab for T4.

I think that the american T5 cab did a bang up job trying to be both a stand up american game and a sit down japanese one. The fact that you can switch is great.
it's got a big ass though ;)

IMG_8682.jpg

IMG_8683.jpg

In guam we had the american T5 dedicated cab.
Also the showcase cab for T4.
I always assumed that Tekken 4 never had a dedicated machine ever released as they were mostly sold as kits, I found pics of dedicated cabs for all Tekken’s except for Tekken 2 and Tekken 4

(New) Net City for Tekken 5. Controls panels, marquees and even leg artwork was made for that cab.
I believe Tekken 6/BR also has similar artwork made for the New Net city, especially since the game did have 480p support

I always assumed that Tekken 4 never had a dedicated machine ever released as they were mostly sold as kits, I found pics of dedicated cabs for all Tekken’s except for Tekken 2 and Tekken 4
Im sure it was a kit, there was nothing special about the cab. TTT1 manual references the cyberlead

We had a tekken 4 or 5 cab over here that was absoute monstrosity of a thing, cant seem to find any pics of it online

That’s not a dedicated cabinet but probably a custom cabinet
I wouldn't be so sure, different markets got different cabs because a lot of manufacturers commissioned local businesses to make the cabs to cut down on transport expenses.

good examples are things like Sega Twin units, or the old-school nintendo cabs. in pictures the USA and JP cabs look the same but if you were to actually measure them you'd find that there isn't a signal panel between the US and JP versions that are the same size/shape... other cabs are wildly different in different markets.

Back