twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
To Support the Multi you need 2 parts:
1. a CPS1 "A-Board"
and 2. a CPS1 "C-Board"

I'm going to go through the different versions of the hardware with nice big pictures so that there is no confusion.

BEST A-Board Option:
best_a_board.jpg

This board has the higher MHz Clock so that newer 12MHz game run at full speed and older 10MHz games have reduced slow-down. the "Dash" Sticker identifies a 12MHz board but it's best to check the Crystal to be sure as stickers can fall off, and people can put stickers on boards that shouldn't have them.

GOOD A-Board Option:
good_a_board.jpg

This board is identical to the "Best" Option except that is has a slower 10MHz Clock. Games will work but they may suffer slow-downs. Some people have "Upgraded" these boards by replacing this 10MHz Crystal with a 12MHz Crystal. The Nuances of this are discussed in other threads such as this one: https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...rystal-oscillator-to-upgrade-an-a-board.5721/

BAD (Unsupported) A-Boards:
bad_a_board.jpg

The Multi does not support Long boards. The older CPS1 games came on the "Long board" identified by it's added length, but also from it's different dip switch and audio amp configuration.

depop_a_board.jpg

Boards that are missing dip switches and Audio Amp are also not supported. These were the A-Boards used in "CPS Q-Sound" Games, aka "CPS1.5". Obviously the problem here is that you will be missing audio if you use one of these boards.

Some dubious e-Bay sellers have taken some of these boards and added back in the Dip-Switches and low-quailty audio components. These are easily identified by the crappy looking audio amp setup as seen in the photo below:
repop_board.jpg

These may work, however it is not recommended and reports are that the audio quality is quite bad due to the shortcuts taken in rebuilding the audio section.
Use at your own Risk.

BEST C-Board Options:

Unmodified 92641C-1
*note that this has a battery and that there are no solder jumps, cut traces, or bodge wires indicating a modification
Cps1_a_92641C-1_set1_top.jpg
unmodified_92641C-1_bottom.jpg

Unmodified 90630C-4
*note that this has a battery and that there are no solder jumps, cut traces, or bodge wires indicating a modification
unmodified_90630c-4_top-jpg.jpg
90630c-4_bottom_unmodified-png.png

Unmodified 90631C-5
*Some variations may come with a black cover over the board
unmodified_90631c_covered-jpg.jpg
Knights_of_the_Round_c-board.jpg

These options are the best because they they allow key-re-writing which means that they can support encrypted ROM sets as-well-as decrypted ROM sets, giving you the most flexibility.

GOOD C-Board Options:

Modified 92641C-1
*note the lack of battery and the bodge wire connected to the CPS-B-21 Chip, as well as Cut Traces and Jumped Pins

modified_92641C-1_top.jpg
modified_92641c-1_bottom-jpg.jpg

Modified 90630C-4
*note the lack of battery and the bodge wire connected to the CPS-B-21 Chip, as well as Cut Traces and Jumped Pins
90630c-4_top_modified-png.png
90630c-4_bottom_modified-png.png

Modified 90631C-5
modified_90631c-5-jpg.jpg

92631C-6
92631c-6_covered-jpg.jpg
Cps1_a_92631C-6_set1_top.jpg

These "Good" Options will work, however you will be limited to only using "decrypted" ROM sets.

It's possible that the "Modified" options above can be "un-modified" to return them to their original key-writing function (allowing you to play encrypted ROMs). For more Information see this post: https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...e-for-the-cps1-multi.13106/page-7#post-299448

Similarly the 92631C-6 can potentially be modified to support key-writing (allowing you to play encrypted ROMs). For More Information See this thread: https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...a-90631c-5-battery-backed-b-21-c-board.13116/

In order to modify a C Board that has been patched to work without battery, you need to do the following:

as you can see in the picture below:

https://github.com/ArcadeHacker/ArcadeHacker_CPS1/blob/master/Programmer Connections.png

Pin 42 in the B21 should go to pin 19 (Dark Green in picture above)
Pin 44 in the B21 should go to pin 20 (Light blue in picture above)
Pin 45 and 46 as explained, should be now connected to GND. Some hacks just cut the track with a Exacto knife, so you may need to run a wire to get those back connected to GND.
Pin 61 and Pin 62 are usually untouched and they would go to Yellow and Red respectively.

BAD (Unsupported) C-Boards:
Any C-Board not listed above
Any C-Board that does not include a "CPS-B-21" labeled chip is not supported by the Multi. The only Official C-Boards that include the B-21 chip are those listed in the "Best" and "Good" Options above.

Some people have made custom C-Boards using "CPS-B-21" chips, these may or may not work, use at your own risk.

What Donors To look for?

Unfortunately A lot of CPS1 games have components mixed and matched with each other, even back in the day Arcade Operators and even Capcom themselves would swap parts to make working sets. Today it's even worse with "De-Suicided" boards and conversions vastly outnumbering original matched board sets. With that Said most conversions used the "CPS-B-21" based C-Board variants found in the "Good" category above, and so long as they're matched with a supported A-Board option it should make a suitable donor. If you do want to try your luck finding original, unmodified, non-conversion CPS1 board sets for the "Best" possible donor (12MHz A-Board, and C-Board Capable of Key-rewriting and encrypted ROMs) then these are the games:
  • Capcom World 2: Adventure Quiz
  • Captain Commando
  • Knights of the Round
  • Quiz and Dragons: Capcom Quiz Game
  • The King of Dragons
  • Three Wonders
  • Varth: Operation Thunderstorm (Japanese Version)

Photo Credits: Many of the great photos in this post were taken from mvs-scans.com, a great resource! Also thank you to xodaraP for the Q-Sound A-Board photo, and Nebula and nem for the 90630C-4 photos. The rest of the photos were found on various forum posts and ebay listings.

Attachments

• unmodified_90630c-4_top-jpg.jpg
    unmodified_90630c-4_top-jpg.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 264
  • modified_90630c-4_top-jpg.jpg
    modified_90630c-4_top-jpg.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 234
  • modified_90630c-4_top-jpg.jpg
    modified_90630c-4_top-jpg.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 461
Last edited by a moderator:
For the sake of clarity:

For the C boards that have a spot for a battery, but don't currently have a battery holder soldered to the board, is the actual battery itself even necessary, since we would be (presumably) be using decrypted roms? Or do we need to add that capability back to the board?

EDIT:

Nevermind - you answered this in the other thread:

I don't know that the battery circuit will need to be fixed since we will likely need to remove the battery anyway, I'm assuming that the multi will reflash the C-Board on boot much like the CPS2 multi does for the encryption keys.

For the C boards that have a spot for a battery, but don't currently have a battery holder soldered to the board, is the actual battery itself even necessary, since we would be (presumably) be using decrypted roms? Or do we need to add that capability back to the board?
we don't yet have confirmation on that ( @Darksoft maybe you can clarify?)

but my assumption is that no battery will be necessary. I'd venture a guess that the multi re-flashes the keys to the C-board on boot much like the CPS2 multi does. This is likely why it requires a battery-backed C-Board since those are the ones that can be re-flashed.

Attachments

• modified_92641C-1_bottom.jpg
    modified_92641C-1_bottom.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 136
  • unmodified_90631C_covered.jpg
    unmodified_90631C_covered.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 136
  • 92631C-6_covered.jpg
    92631C-6_covered.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 123
  • modified_90631C-5.jpg
    modified_90631C-5.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 188
  • modified_90630c-4_top.jpg
    modified_90630c-4_top.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 90630C-4_bottom_unmodified.png
    90630C-4_bottom_unmodified.png
    254.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 90630C-4_bottom_modified.png
    90630C-4_bottom_modified.png
    254.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 90630C-4_top_modified.png
    90630C-4_top_modified.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
You dont need the battery, so you can basically do that "fix" to the 92631C-6 and keep it without battery and you'll be good.

That's what I was thinking as well. This would mean that the (relatively) inexpensive C board replacements that Lydz sells on TaoBao could be an appropriate C-board pairing. I've got three on-hand, they've got B-21 chips and built on a substrate with a spot for a battery holder. The label on the board itself says it's model 92641C-1, so it must be the same as your first picture, minus the battery.

You dont need the battery, so you can basically do that "fix" to the 92631C-6 and keep it without battery and you'll be good.
Awesome! I'll also be interested to see how the option to include a B-21 with the order will work out. The reason I have these Lydz boards is to replace existing bad C-boards that I held onto. The prospect of fixing those as well is intriguing.

@Darksoft for CPS1.5 support on the multi do you need the original Qsound board in the stack (thus needing cps1.5 donor), or does the multi have on board qsound?

I'm stoked either way, just curious!

another question I'd like to know is if it fits inside the CPS Qsound or CPS Changer Case, or even the Varth/Capcom World 2 style case.

Games that Came with Non-Battery B-21 C-Boards

• Street Fighter II': Champion Edition
  • Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting
  • Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Mega Man: The Power Battle
  • Rockman: The Power Battle
  • Pnickies
  • Quiz Tonosama no Yabou 2: Zenkoku-ban
  • Pang! 3
  • Ganbare! Marine Kun
  • Daimakaimura (Japan Resale Ver.)
  • Strider Hiryu (Japan Resale Ver.)
  • Tenchi wo Kurau (Japan Resale Ver.)
  • Area 88 (Japan Resale Ver.)
I just want to point out this list is not definitive. I got a Street Fighter II: Champion Edition conversion from China and it came with a battery-less 90631C-5 C-Board. I guess I got lucky.

I got a Street Fighter II: Champion Edition conversion
CONVERSIONS don't belong on any definitive list.

Technically you can convert ANY game to work on ANY C-Board. So if you have a conversion board you're on your own to check the PCB#

this is only listing games that shipped FROM CAPCOM with the desired boards.

I got a Street Fighter II: Champion Edition conversion
CONVERSIONS don't belong on any definitive list.
Technically you can convert ANY game to work on ANY C-Board. So if you have a conversion board you're on your own to check the PCB#

this is only listing games that shipped FROM CAPCOM with the desired boards.
Understood, that is why I checked mine. I wasn't saying your list was wrong. I was just saying it was not definitive.

I am 100% confident that this shit will get worked out and that this shit will be awesome.

It's like an arcade project or something...

:D

Where does Street Fighter World Warrior fall in this list?

Will it be somewhat or completely Multi Compatible?

based on what we know, the only thing that matters is the C-Board, Any A-Board should work and the B-Board is irrelevant as it wont be used.

World-Warrior does not have the correct C-board.

based on what we know, the only thing that matters is the C-Board, Any A-Board should work and the B-Board is irrelevant as it wont be used.
World-Warrior does not have the correct C-board.
To further clarify. Can I play most of the library without the correct c-board is it that a no?

if anyone needs a suitable C-Board SheepNova has a bunch for sale right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283905549887?ul_noapp=true they've been de-suicided*

*EDIT: For clarity this means that they don't support key injection and would need to have the de-suicide modifications undone to support it.

Last edited:
Back