What's new
I don't think it's THAT easy compared to say a socket chip on a cps2 board. I believe you'll need a hot air station and some surface mount soldering skills to change out those roms.
NOPE. its 1 socketed ROM, you just program the patched one and pop it in.

IMG_0094.jpg

Out of curiosity, can the original roms be salvaged and re-written (ic0-xx, not ic22)?

While I'm asking questions.. Would you use the same 26L6420 for 171-8132B PCB's (in hopes of going from one 171-8132B game to another, nothing too fancy)?

Last edited:
anything Sega's marked as "MPR-something" is Mask ROMs, they can not be (re)programmed.
That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure, because I'd have felt awful stupid had it been the other way around...

Managed to desolder all the mask roms without incident, and ordered some new roms! I'm excited.

Last edited:
I never knew you could unlock every character with a simple rom swap. I might get an MvC2 cart from a friend soon, will make sure to do that. Can anyone point me to the correct file?

Just discovered that thread. Why not designing a replacement PCB? Supporting big flash so only few would be needed and no more sacking of sport games.
YES! I would think the hardest part would be sourcing the connectors, and like the PGM carts, building replacement cases.

@Fluffy you up for designing NAOMI replacement carts :D

Without going through the whole thread, I thought people are using some kind of network boot?

Edit: The difficult thing will be that some carts seem to have a Xilinx CPLD or FPGA device on them. The security PIC seems to be decoded. Otherwise I don't see a big problem, other than that soldering all those TSOP devices is not really for beginners.
Have the connectors been identified, yet? Is there some kind of summary of all the tech details somewhere to get me up to speed? Most info I found in a short search is relatively high level, or points to a thread here. :)

Hmm... this shape looks close. Does anyone have measurements and pin count?
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDet...GAEpiMZZMvffgRu4KC1Rw0uA%2BB/cqq/OiHzisGhzcs=

Last edited:
Without going through the whole thread, I thought people are using some kind of network boot?
There are 4 ways to load games onto a NAOMI
1- with a game cartridge
2- with a GDROM Disc (and a special "DIMM Board" cartridge that acts as an interface to the GDROM Drive)
3- with a CF card (using the same special "DIMM Board" cartridge but interfacing to a CF Reader instead of the GDROM Drive)
4- by Net Booting (using a special "Net DIMM Board" cartridge that has an ethernet port for streaming the game code after boot).

While a Net-Boot setup works similar to a Multi since we use a small Raspberry Pi to stream over any game in the NAOMI Catalog. Most people still prefer using the original Game Cartridges because it's more compact, it boots instantly (the other options take several minutes to boot). and the power requirements are lower which makes the system much more flexible in terms of which cabs it can run in.

about half of the NAOMI Catalog was released on Cartridge, and the other half was released on GD-ROM, so being able to convert those GD-ROM games to Cartridge is quite beneficial.

Much like PGM there is protection on the cartridges but when converting we patch that out and it's no longer needed.

If you're interested I'd be willing to donate a NAOMI unit and cartridge.

I'm already looking at eBay... I'll need to get a feeling how feasible this is and what costs are involved. I'll see if I can get a cheap (possibly broken?) cartridge.

Apparently there are 4 Sega boards types, and 2 Namco boards. Are there any schematics and/or pinouts, yet?

Why not designing a replacement PCB? Supporting big flash so only few would be needed and no more sacking of sport games.
I'm not talking multi yet.
I'd guess because it looks not profitable ?

as was explained above by @twistedsymphony: there is official RAM-cartridge from Sega - DIMM-board. having it user may upload games via network (from PC or RPi) or from CF card.

some people wish to have same functionality, but:
- easier to use
- faster game change/load time
- cheaper than Sega's DIMM board
this ^^^ IMO is main reason why such device still not exists ;)

If I'm doing it it will be a bare PCB similar to the PGM boards. An assembled board would require a way to program a game onto it, which would raise complexity a lot.

Not a competition to net- or cf- boot, more if you have got a handful of games you want to play a lot.

dont the japanese have a huge surplus of horse-racing cartridges??

Why not designing a replacement PCB? Supporting big flash so only few would be needed and no more sacking of sport games.
as was explained above by @twistedsymphony: there is official RAM-cartridge from Sega - DIMM-board. having it user may upload games via network (from PC or RPi) or from CF card.

- easier to use
Reason 1 and 2 is all that matters :thumbup:

- easier to use
By using flash we could write cart with netboot. It would act as the RAM one but would retain data once powered off.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showpost.php?p=2972381&postcount=4

The part from OMRON is XH3 style connector and the one that is used is a 100 position, 2 row.
If its the connector to the board that's broken the part is an 'A' Type and if its on the cartridge it's a 'B' type.
So this:
https://omronfs.omron.com/en_US/ecb/products/pdf/haif.pdf
https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-d...ics-inc-emc-div/XH3A-0141-A/Z12474-ND/1829516
https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-d...ics-inc-emc-div/XH3B-0141-A/Z12481-ND/1829533
?

Last edited:
Why not make some flash ram dimms for the net dimm. Would keep the data and not need the battery. You get your quick boot time and data retained. Could swap sticks and keep high scores retained.

Back