What's new

Kujako

Professional
Reaction score
So trying to set this up, but not getting any video out... system works fine when running the game it came with, but I get no video signal when I hook up the multi-drive I built. Anything I can try before I start over?

Edit: Left it running for a bit and after a few minutes it seems to restart. Still no video signal.

Last edited:

Kujako

Professional
Reaction score
How are you connected?
Using an MSATA with a PATA 2.5" adapter and a 2.5 to 3.25 adapter. Was what I had in my bits and pieces drawer. If I make another try, I'll keep it simpler.

IMG_1021.jpg

Last edited:

nam9

Grand Master
Reaction score
Should still get a splash screen on bios… are you using VGA or DVI out?

Kujako

Professional
Reaction score
Should still get a splash screen on bios… are you using VGA or DVI out?
Been using the VGA out, never got HDMI DVI to work (think it's outputting low res). The game it came with (Matrimelee Matsuri) looks a bit off on my desktop VGA LCD, but fine on my Vewlix once I run it through an OSSC. I have tried the HDMI output, but to no avail. When using the VGA output, I do not see a BIOS or splash screen... it takes about half a second and then I see the windows desktop flash on screen before the game loads (with the original drive and USB dongle attached, I get nothing with the MSATA).

If I power the system on with no drive, I get no video output as well...

Last edited:

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
By default the Type X Graphics card will output 480i (15Khz res) over the VGA port and 480P (31Khz res) over the DVI port. There is no HDMI port.
So the VGA port is really for older cabinets that don't support 31K resolution.

if you want to run on a Vewlix over VGA then you'll wan to buy a DVI-I to VGA adapter and hook that up on the DVI port of the graphics card. Most modern displays WONT work with the 480i signal from the VGA port

Kujako

Professional
Reaction score
By default the Type X Graphics card will output 480i (15Khz res) over the VGA port and 480P (31Khz res) over the DVI port. There is no HDMI port.
So the VGA port is really for older cabinets that don't support 31K resolution.

if you want to run on a Vewlix over VGA then you'll wan to buy a DVI-I to VGA adapter and hook that up on the DVI port of the graphics card. Most modern displays WONT work with the 480i signal from the VGA port
Sorry, meant DVI. Yeah getting 15khz out when I boot off the stock drive and dongle (using the cards VGA port, not tried using a DVI to VGA adapter. Will give that a shot this afternoon). Working on my test bench and Vewlix. But with no drive, or my currently prepared multi drive, I get no video signal at all.

Last edited:

nam9

Grand Master
Reaction score
@Kujako I’d suggest that the TTX doesn’t like your drive combo then… You can also try a SATA drive as that should work fine I think…

No, the DVI does not output a HDMI compatible video signal, so you will need that DVI/VGA dongle for 480p.

Great work @rtw !!

Kujako

Professional
Reaction score
@Kujako I’d suggest that the TTX doesn’t like your drive combo then… You can also try a SATA drive as that should work fine I think…

No, the DVI does not output a HDMI compatible video signal, so you will need that DVI/VGA dongle for 480p.

Great work @rtw !!
Yeah, no worries... I'll try another drive setup. Think I have some older SATA SSDs in the closet. And yes, I've been running VGA to DVI via an OSSC. Although my old Viewsonic 4:3 LCD on my workbench seems to handle the output well enough without a scaler.

Kujako

Professional
Reaction score
So, good news: I found a 64GB Kingston SATA SSD that's working (think this was the first SSD I ever bought). Bad news: found an exploded capacitor. So guess I'm spending the weekend doing a recap.

Kujako

Professional
Reaction score
Only got a couple capacitors replaced... had a hell of a time getting the holes cleared after desoldering. Will try again at a later date. But, everything's up and running. Replaced the power supply with a pico-psu while I was in there.
IMG_1033.jpg

Menu is a little flickery, but that's not unexpected given the 768p screen (non-integer scaling). Will see about tweaking the output through my OSSC later on. For the most part, games look as good as can be expected.
IMG_1034.jpg

kazuo

Professional
Reaction score
I gave up trying to recap these after the first attempt. More than enough tries for me. Really thick boards, needs lots of heat and giant globs of flux... very messy work. Pico PSU sounds like a good replacement for these boards with dead PSUs, due to the odd sizing of the OEM piece.

Make sure you're in a well-ventilated area or get a extractor fan!

Kujako

Professional
Reaction score
I gave up trying to recap these after the first attempt. More than enough tries for me. Really thick boards, needs lots of heat and giant globs of flux... very messy work. Pico PSU sounds like a good replacement for these boards with dead PSUs, due to the odd sizing of the OEM piece.

Make sure you're in a well-ventilated area or get a extractor fan!
Yeah... had a hell of a time clearing the ground pins on the capacitors due to the large ground plane pulling heat away. I've got some "chipquik" like @rtw listed, but hand't thought to try it. Would be hard to apply in this case (only ever used it on surface mounted components before I got a hot air rework station). Was able to pull the capacitors using my Hako desoldering gun, but every time the ground pin hole would be blocked preventing inserting the replacement.

kazuo

Professional
Reaction score
I tried low melt/"chipquik" and it didn't seem to help too much for me. Maybe my Aoyue gun is trash? ;) Clean (Hakko) tip, I always clean the tube & spring (spring and filter are Hakko) after every use... was still painfully difficult.

You might have better luck with a real Hakko + low melt! Let us know how it goes if you give it another go.