What's new
How are you connected?
Using an MSATA with a PATA 2.5" adapter and a 2.5 to 3.25 adapter. Was what I had in my bits and pieces drawer. If I make another try, I'll keep it simpler.

IMG_1021.jpg

Last edited:
Should still get a splash screen on bios… are you using VGA or DVI out?

Should still get a splash screen on bios… are you using VGA or DVI out?
Been using the VGA out, never got HDMI DVI to work (think it's outputting low res). The game it came with (Matrimelee Matsuri) looks a bit off on my desktop VGA LCD, but fine on my Vewlix once I run it through an OSSC. I have tried the HDMI output, but to no avail. When using the VGA output, I do not see a BIOS or splash screen... it takes about half a second and then I see the windows desktop flash on screen before the game loads (with the original drive and USB dongle attached, I get nothing with the MSATA).

If I power the system on with no drive, I get no video output as well...

Last edited:
By default the Type X Graphics card will output 480i (15Khz res) over the VGA port and 480P (31Khz res) over the DVI port. There is no HDMI port.
So the VGA port is really for older cabinets that don't support 31K resolution.

if you want to run on a Vewlix over VGA then you'll wan to buy a DVI-I to VGA adapter and hook that up on the DVI port of the graphics card. Most modern displays WONT work with the 480i signal from the VGA port

By default the Type X Graphics card will output 480i (15Khz res) over the VGA port and 480P (31Khz res) over the DVI port. There is no HDMI port.
So the VGA port is really for older cabinets that don't support 31K resolution.

if you want to run on a Vewlix over VGA then you'll wan to buy a DVI-I to VGA adapter and hook that up on the DVI port of the graphics card. Most modern displays WONT work with the 480i signal from the VGA port
Sorry, meant DVI. Yeah getting 15khz out when I boot off the stock drive and dongle (using the cards VGA port, not tried using a DVI to VGA adapter. Will give that a shot this afternoon). Working on my test bench and Vewlix. But with no drive, or my currently prepared multi drive, I get no video signal at all.

Last edited:
@Kujako I’d suggest that the TTX doesn’t like your drive combo then… You can also try a SATA drive as that should work fine I think…

No, the DVI does not output a HDMI compatible video signal, so you will need that DVI/VGA dongle for 480p.

Great work @rtw !!

@Kujako I’d suggest that the TTX doesn’t like your drive combo then… You can also try a SATA drive as that should work fine I think…

No, the DVI does not output a HDMI compatible video signal, so you will need that DVI/VGA dongle for 480p.

Great work @rtw !!
Yeah, no worries... I'll try another drive setup. Think I have some older SATA SSDs in the closet. And yes, I've been running VGA to DVI via an OSSC. Although my old Viewsonic 4:3 LCD on my workbench seems to handle the output well enough without a scaler.

So, good news: I found a 64GB Kingston SATA SSD that's working (think this was the first SSD I ever bought). Bad news: found an exploded capacitor. So guess I'm spending the weekend doing a recap.

Only got a couple capacitors replaced... had a hell of a time getting the holes cleared after desoldering. Will try again at a later date. But, everything's up and running. Replaced the power supply with a pico-psu while I was in there.
IMG_1033.jpg

Menu is a little flickery, but that's not unexpected given the 768p screen (non-integer scaling). Will see about tweaking the output through my OSSC later on. For the most part, games look as good as can be expected.
IMG_1034.jpg

I gave up trying to recap these after the first attempt. More than enough tries for me. Really thick boards, needs lots of heat and giant globs of flux... very messy work. Pico PSU sounds like a good replacement for these boards with dead PSUs, due to the odd sizing of the OEM piece.

Make sure you're in a well-ventilated area or get a extractor fan!

I gave up trying to recap these after the first attempt. More than enough tries for me. Really thick boards, needs lots of heat and giant globs of flux... very messy work. Pico PSU sounds like a good replacement for these boards with dead PSUs, due to the odd sizing of the OEM piece.

Make sure you're in a well-ventilated area or get a extractor fan!
Yeah... had a hell of a time clearing the ground pins on the capacitors due to the large ground plane pulling heat away. I've got some "chipquik" like @rtw listed, but hand't thought to try it. Would be hard to apply in this case (only ever used it on surface mounted components before I got a hot air rework station). Was able to pull the capacitors using my Hako desoldering gun, but every time the ground pin hole would be blocked preventing inserting the replacement.

I tried low melt/"chipquik" and it didn't seem to help too much for me. Maybe my Aoyue gun is trash? ;) Clean (Hakko) tip, I always clean the tube & spring (spring and filter are Hakko) after every use... was still painfully difficult.

You might have better luck with a real Hakko + low melt! Let us know how it goes if you give it another go.

Might be useful for someone else, IDK? Anyways I got a Vewlix Diamond Orange recently. "SWEET!" I say up until I found out the 1080p panel has no aspect ratio options. "Oh NO!"

Well good news, you can modify the type x2 multi to work with this panel and make things not look like shit!
IMG_6601.jpg

To achieve you need to obtain shutdown.exe from Windows XP. I just grabbed shutdown.ex_ from the i386 folder on an install cd and used "expand shutdown.ex_ shutdown.exe" from a command line.
copy to thumb drive, open command prompt:
copy f:\shutdown.exe c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe
ewfmgr c: -commitanddisable
shutdown /r

open command prompt again:
rundll32 nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1920 1080 32 60
rundll32 nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setscaling 1 5
shutdown /r

and then open command prompt one more time:
ewfmgr c: -enable
shutdown /r

to revert change the nvcpl commands to:
rundll32 nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 640 480 32 60
rundll32 nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setscaling 1 1

By default X2 is set to 640x480 and the dip switch when detected on a compatible game will change the PC resolution to 720p. These changes set the desktop resolution to 1920x1080 and enables the gpu scaling while maintaining aspect ratio. This makes all the games run scaled at 1080p resolution.

Hi! This is amazing, awesome job man!!! :D :D :D

btw I bought a Taito Type X Zero, it has a HDD with a Nesica sticker on it but no dongle. The unit boots to the logo screen. I guess it will work right? but I don't see any specific info on X Zero units not here or anywhere in google. Can you share some knowledge on this unit? I'm a little confused, although I know about NesicaXLive I'm guessing too much stuff hahaha Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Back