What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I don't have any other components yet I decided to desolder the CPU ant put some headers in the meantime.
Unfortunately the old CPU pins are not very straight (like all desoldered components) so the CPU probably isn't making good contacts and the game doesn't boot..
If I lift a bit the CPU the pins seem to make a good contact again and the game runs fine. But it seems too unreliable..
The 12mhz CPU I've ordered should be a new old stock so the pins should make good contact.
What happens if I'll try to use the 12mhz cpu without making the clock mod too just to evaluate if I need to desolder the headers and try with a socket (with no round pins)?
Speaking of sockets is there a suggested model to use? If finding only dip64 with round pins..

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20210814_182243_481.jpg
    IMG_20210814_182243_481.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 83
It’s going to be the heaviest multi ever with that many chips!
If the "deluxe sprites upgrade kit" ever happens it will be about another 9/10 roms and a few more chips ;)

A similar kit also needs to be made for the M72/M84 to get major title running on there but it's back burner stuff.

CPU probably isn't making good contacts and the game doesn't boot..
Check your lines, any damage around the CPU won't help.
To straighten the legs without a IC leg wheel thing the best thing is a metal thin bar and press on the legs from the inside on a flat surface.

What happens if I'll try to use the 12mhz cpu without making the clock mod
It will work as normal.

Looked for any trace damage with the scope and the multimeter and everything is ok. Since the game starts if I slightly lift the CPU from one side I think it's a bad contact between the header and the CPU.
Maybe I'll try the 12mhz CPU on those headers before desoldering them again now that I know that it will work like usual

It's gonna be time to put the main order in soon 35 is a good number for the 1st run.

That's over 1000 rom sockets alone, think if i were to burn the roms also nothing would get done!
36 would be a better number ;)

Just got x36 801s at -80 speed for £45 (all tested and blanked) Ebay UK seller, so not too bad 8)
I think I've just used the same seller for 36x 27C801s, it seemed like a decent enough deal. If the stock level is accurate, they have enough to satisfy two more multi's ;)

Looking good!
Yes, The rom burning takes a good bit of time due to the number of them.
It was a nightmare getting the files correct, hopefully there's no bugs still lurking in those ones :)

Looking good!
Yes, The rom burning takes a good bit of time due to the number of them.
It was a nightmare getting the files correct, hopefully there's no bugs still lurking in those ones :)
Writing, labelling, dumping and checking probably took a good 3 hours. Just wanted to get the jump off. Let me know if there's any bugs in those files and I can re-write.

Thankfully they all worked too. Had some that wouldn't blank on the programmer but they just needed some more time in the Eraser. I'm noticing that 30+ minutes is the sweet spot these days for a certified clean in my eraser.

Let me know if there's any bugs in those files and I can re-write.
I can't find any issues with those 801 files , the program roms (322's) are still getting some wax on a mostly daily basis....
EDF , Makai and Big striker need some more checking over and some minor stuff like checksums etc on anything patched needs finishing / checking it's done.

I'll just pay buyicnow to write em for me. What's the speeds I can shoot for cuz they out of 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back