What's new
somone mentioned that I can run the Netdimm without a security pic? Apparently all I have to do is resend the keepalive packet periodically.
They gave me the file to modify the pi but I don't know what to do with it.

I have a security pic in the mail (ordered may 28th from Spain, still in transit - ridiculous) but if I can run the dimm without it that would be preferable.

Here is the info I was given.
https://github.com/JanekvO/naomi_ne...l-T0kG09Z4DO1CsxVWrqdJsJqz0THMloxFdJWFKUE#L98
I was never able to get this to work - I had to use the security zero PIC.
i got it to work and could send anyone who wants it my python script. it took a while for me to get it working. I kind of combined code from an old version and the newer version where they dropped the keep alive part.

i got it to work and could send anyone who wants it my python script. it took a while for me to get it working. I kind of combined code from an old version and the newer version where they dropped the keep alive part.
Please share bro, might give it a go, to see if this method works a bit better on certain Naomi setups I have.

Please share bro, might give it a go, to see if this method works a bit better on certain Naomi setups I have.
Yes please, I just ordered my pi screen hat to setup a permanent Naomi2 netdimm solution.

Yes please, I just ordered my pi screen hat to setup a permanent Naomi2 netdimm solution.
Ok, I’ll share it tomorrow. From my testing it seemed finicky. You need a particular version of python and the right script. Then you need a crossover cable or you can run through a network hub. I like the network hub to see lights blinking. Then you also need to keep in mind for some games you need to go to the test menu to boot another game. Also ikaruga works even if you have no zero key or a faulty one. I’m using a win 7 32 bit laptop to boot games. I’ll put together a zip file with what worked for me. I never got it working from a pi, but I didn’t try once I got a working zero key. I got it working great from an old win 7 laptop that I have no other use for so that’s my naomi boot solution for now.

Over time my Naomi Netboot system was having problems intermittently with booting to the LCD and also loading games, freezing, etc. I did a complete rebuild of the SD card and it works flawlessly now. I'm guessing over time the SD card got corrupt.

Throwing this out there as an option if people are experiencing the same symptoms, a rebuild and refresh might do your system good.

Valid point. SD cards, Rpi's and SD card corruption go hand in hand. Best way to avoid is initiate a proper shutdown, don't just kill the power.

This is the one you need: https://gitlab.com/ezechiel/pidimboot
I use it as well and it's awesome.
I just setup a card for with this image and am just waiting for my LCD (thank @Frank_fjs).

Disappointed that Rhythm Tengoku isn't on the list of games. It's one of my favourite multi player games on the system. Hopefully they add these to the selector:

forcefive.bin
hotd2.bin
kenju.bin
rhytngk.bin

Last edited:
Valid point. SD cards, Rpi's and SD card corruption go hand in hand. Best way to avoid is initiate a proper shutdown, don't just kill the power.
What is proper shutdown for a Naomi Netdimm Pi setup? I flip the switch to off on the ATX PSU and it's shutdown.

The Rpi has a proper shutdown procedure which safely unmounts the SD card. Very much like how you shut down a PC in software with a shutdown command rather than just pulling the plug.

How to do this depends on the software image you're using. I use PiDimBoot which has a power button icon which when pressed shuts down the Pi properly and safely. When the LEDs stop flashing the Pi has safely shutdown and can be safely powered off. You can also rig a physical switch to the GPIO pins.

The Rpi has a proper shutdown procedure which safely unmounts the SD card. Very much like how you shut down a PC in software with a shutdown command rather than just pulling the plug.

How to do this depends on the software image you're using. I use PiDimBoot which has a power button icon which when pressed shuts down the Pi properly and safely. When the LEDs stop flashing the Pi has safely shutdown and can be safely powered off. You can also rig a physical switch to the GPIO pins.
Ok thanks. Need to check this out.

and again would be a great feature in a pre-made Pi image...
It has always been my intention to release a complete Naomi NetBoot collection for Joystick+Button games (skipping driving/shooting JVS requirement games).
We even put together a list with @twistedsymphony 's help of just what these games would be.
While I have most of them, I would need some help to finish it... OR a place to contribute what I've already got (which is a working image with a shit load of games in it).

The image size is always going to be based on SD card size unfortunately (no compression of the file system empty or not) that's why I was going to use Archive.org for release and split the 7z into chunks (as I've done in the past).

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, here it is. I put instructions in a text file. If anyone tries it let me know if it works for you and I can try to help if you have problems. You should be able to use this with no zero key, or in my case a faulty one.

Python PyCrypto and Script to netboot naomi

Last edited:
The latest pi images now seem to have an option in raspi-config to make the root fs read only. I haven't tested if it works. It uses overlay fs.
I have an image that uses aufs and a rebuild kernel (with some patches for aufs) It uses the fsprotect package to make the rootfs read only.
I know for sure that works. We have like 16 pi's running with that that are switched off every day for more than a year now. We only had one sd card corruption.
I can upload that image somewhere if it would be usefull for someone. It's just a standard very recent raspian image for the pi 3B. There is no netboot related stuff present.

I need some direct guidance, the many branches and versions of PiForce are far too confusing to me.

I have a pi3b
I have a PiTFT Plus 2.8" LCD
Naomi 2 is fw4.02 and is set to 192.168.1.2 /24

I would like to have pictures and/or videos of the games and then select them using the screen. Is there a specific build I should be looking for or is the version provided here a one-size-fits-all?
This is the one you need: https://gitlab.com/ezechiel/pidimbootI use it as well and it's awesome.
Does this version support/work with the relay reset mod?? I have a friend that Im setting up a N2 for and would like to run this touch screen image.
I didn't see any GPIO references when I was looking through the code. I'm leaning towards no, but there's always a chance I missed it. It should be a pretty trivial addition however.
Thanks, I will try this out.
@Derick2k, how did you get the relay reset mod working or did you find it was included in the PiDim image?

@Derick2k, how did you get the relay reset mod working or did you find it was included in the PiDim image?
Im just getting around to it, finally got the touchscreen kit in, so will be testing over the next few days. I want to finish these N2 setups, I have a one system going to a fellow member in a Australia as a gift and another one to @8bitforlife I finally got his N2 modded and ready to go, but this touchscreen image is nice so thats getting done for him.

Im just getting around to it, finally got the touchscreen kit in, so will be testing over the next few days. I want to finish these N2 setups, I have a one system going to a fellow member in a Australia as a gift and another one to @8bitforlife I finally got his N2 modded and ready to go, but this touchscreen image is nice so thats getting done for him.
Awesome, will be interested to see how it goes as I wouldnt mind moving to the lcd version.

thanks= you @Derick2k did you need another blast city speaker case before i chuck it?

Hello everyone! I have a Chihiro Type 3 512 in an Outrun 2 cab and I am trying to setup Pi netbooting setup. I have the zero key and I am getting the games to load, but then I just get an error 31. I know my firmware us definitely old, but i am having a REALLY hard time finding the firmwares to be able to netboot. Is that my issue? I have read alot of threads on here, but i am just not sure where to start! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20200808_230712.jpg
    20200808_230712.jpg
    674.2 KB · Views: 49
After you loaded a game over netboot, does it show the game specific test menu when you enter the global test menu?

Are you sure the game you netboot is also for the usa region?

Have you tried to netboot and run the "firmware update for compact flash" bin? It should bring your dimm firmware up to date and will also make it ready for compact flash use.

Back