What's new

nem

Enlightened
Reaction score
I found uncletom's experiments a bit confusing... He placed the convergence rings on tubes that don't need them?

The Philips tube has a yoke that has a built in ring set on it. It's a 2 in 1 unit. If you're going to put any other yoke on it that normally has a separate ring set you will have to include too.

You can try it without one. It's going to look wonky as hell.

Problem is that this Philips TV produces a great image, and I'm sure that if I remove the yoke I won't be able to set it as good as before.

There's like zero adjustments done with Philips yokes. You literally place it on and make sure it's correctly oriented (as opposed to rotated). Check the first two posts in this thread. Just be careful when removing the yoke. I've heard that the windings can come off.

I can point you to an old thread on a Forum: Neo-Arcadia

The Philips isn't a perfect match with the 293X. The mounting ears are at the wrong depth and the curvature isn't quite the same. Again, if I had no tube, then yeah, it's worth trying. Otherwise no.

Sony I wouldn't even bother with.

Daewoo, no idea.

The Shanghai Novel tubes in 29e31s are indeed the correct curvature. You will only find one in an arcade cab though. 29e31s is also 31khz only, so again something you would have to yoke swap or put a Wei-Ya chassis on. Be advised though, they are extremely poor tubes. I have 3 that have either dead or dying electron guns.

Last edited:

Zeroh

Beginner
Reaction score
The Philips tube has a yoke that has a built in ring set on it. It's a 2 in 1 unit. If you're going to put any other yoke on it that normally has a separate ring set you will have to include too.
Really? But then what about the Videocolor tubes?

The Philips isn't a perfect match with the 293X. The mounting ears are at the wrong depth and the curvature isn't quite the same. Again, if I had no tube, then yeah, it's worth trying. Otherwise no.
I think there are photos in that thread. Curvature should be the same, or at least from the photos I saw sometime ago it fits, but mounting need to be "creatively adjusted".
Daewoo possibly uses same tube?

Other than that Philips tube, the only ones that fit should be the toshiba tubes (A68KZN696) mounted in PANASONIC DT-2930MS,GRUNDIG M72-795 TOP,GRUNDIG M72- 105 IDTV,GRUNDIG ST72-760 + 762 TOP,GRUNDIG M72-760 TOP, BLAUPUNKT IS-72 55,GRUNDIG M72- 105 IDTV,GRUNDIG ST72-160 IDTV and TOSHIBA2929D (A68KLF96X02).
Good luck finding those...

Zeroh

Beginner
Reaction score
I though Videocolor tubes were like the Philips, i.e. pre-set at factory and I thought this was done internally to the tube.
But after a quick search it seems it's a single non serviceable ring under a yellow tape.
So once you remove that the tube becomes like any other plain tube?