What's new

Would you be interested in buying an N64 to Aleck 64 Cartridge Adapter?

• Total voters

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
For those that Don't know the Seta Aleck 64 hardware is essentially just an arcade version of the Nintendo 64 console. In-fact the games will just run without modification so long as the cartridge pins are wired up correctly I first proposed this here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/n64-carts-on-seta-aleck64-hardware.12153/
and it was further proven by AMS here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/seta-aleck-jamma-board-to-nintendo-64.16130/

One thing about the Aleck 64 hardware is it's designed around a special control panel.
In addition to the JAMMA adapter the mobo also has 4 connectors that while shaped different are essentially the same electrically as the N64 controller ports. (you could build controller port adapter).

s-l1600.jpg

the Aleck64 control panel then has a PCBs that convert that signal into the joystick and buttons. The joystick functions as BOTH an analog stick AND a normal 8-way and the 6 buttons plus start are all wired to the PCB on the control panel as opposed to the JAMMA edge.

aleck64_panel.jpg

While this is required for some (but not all ) Aleck64 games, it would be required for ALL N64 games that would be used by an adapter. Also given that an N64 has some games that would require the analog stick and D-pad be used independently and has an L, R, and Z buttons that would not be mapped to the 6-buttons on the control panel, it not only requires you have a special control panel to go with your Aleck64 hardware but also limits what N64 games would be playable with this setup.

With all that said I'm curious who would be interested in such an adapter.

Even with the caveats, I know I am.

Last edited:
Its very interesting, but I'm afraid with everything else going on right now...
  • Release of CPS1 Multi
  • Pending release of System 18 Multi
  • Gas is nearing 5$/Gal
I think its best if I skip this one, esp given the additional investment in CP.
For sure a cool project. :thumbup:

I would be interested with N64 cartridge adapter and cp PCBs for joysticks and buttons. It would be nice if I can use my own NNC cp, joysticks and buttons.
When these will be available? I need to save money first as I'm tight with money right now.

To be clear I'm not making or selling control panels. Only pointing out that if you were to buy such an adapter you would NEED to find and use the original Aleck64 control panels.

I also have no current plans to make this adapter, I'm just trying to gauge interest in it.

How about a jamma pass-throught adapter that sits between the pcb and the jamma connector, doing the conversion with the NUS ic inside the n64 controller itself and the required 3 pin cable? i know these are cloned since you can buy them on aliexpress (and rip it from it).

Defenetly lot of work more with it but also no special panel required, just use the one inside any cabinet. The idea is basically take a n64 controller and put in a jamma adapter pcb, input taken from the 3 pin connector and output throught the regular jamma interface, kind like making an arcade stick from a n64 controller in the old days. I know that the NUS chip is also well documented for people that were making N64 portable consoles

Should be doable :) I have the stl file ready for you for the casing if needed . @twistedsymphony ,

For other info, You can hook your n64 controller direct to the aleck if you take a n64 cable extender and cut of 1 end and connect it to the 3 wire plug on the system .

Last edited:
You can hook your n64 controller direct to the aleck if you take a n64 cable extender and cut of 1 end and connect it to the 3 wire plug on the system .
I was wondering about this, people have consolelized Naomi/256 by using Dreamcast/PS2 controllers.
Of course my desired use case would be inside a cab, so I'd go full control panel as TS suggested...
Nice to have options tho.

only you can use USA/Asia/Japan games no pall because of the 50hz. Also games with extension pack ar no problem for the aleck as it has it build in the system. So the only need is to make a n64 pinout adapter to a aleck card pinout . Something I made in the original topic . I just don’t have the pcb to reproduce but someone should be able to just draw it and have it made in china and I think @twistedsymphony is the person to lead this and make this happen :)

Maybe you also should dive in a everdrive conversion to see if that can be nice thing . Then you have a multi

I would/still am interested, though the only game I would care to use this for at all is Mischief Makers which requires L/R/Z, so I would definitely have to go with a solution for pad support. Even if that means, say, doing a little padhacking and soldering some leads to the LRZ pads up to the buttons to make the configuration I would need for MM (assuming the extensions harness -> pad solution "brings back" said LRZ support).

Sadly also in the camp of "damn everything is expensive rn" so this would be an "eventually" purchase for me, even though MM is quite literally my favorite game.

Seems like you should also be able to install the Ultra HDMI mod too.
But I haven't actually looked at chip/formfactor to see if the quick solder flex pins align (would likely need custom wire job).
UltraHDMI_KIT__63821.1448059137.jpg

the only game I would care to use this for at all is Mischief Makers which requires L/R/Z
so I've talked to someone who used the Aleck64 panels with an N64 for a game that needed L/R/Z and supposedly they have pads for those buttons there and it was mostly a matter of remapping the panel buttons to use them. Obviously not the best solution for a wide variety of games, but an option if there are specific ones you want the setup for.

Yes that’s all that is necessary. I’ve wired an aleck panel into a n64 because WHY NOT

aleck64_n64_cart_adapter.jpg

Shipped some off to @twistedsymphony and @TheDeath earlier today :)

Adapter plugs into Aleck64 mobo, insert N64 cart with label facing up, that's it. Edge connector is gold plated and beveled for easy insertion.

$50 + shipping

I have 3 left right now. Got lots of pcbs, but waiting on more cartridge connectors which should be here before the end of the month. Send me a pm if you want one!

@brizzo does your pcb fit the original aleck card plastic ? If so I will release the stl file for the outside

Attachments

• 70581E49-C5C2-40AC-8B50-3D1EE4B26383.jpeg
    70581E49-C5C2-40AC-8B50-3D1EE4B26383.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Love it :) Thank you guys, specially @twistedsymphony that exchanged this for my repro pcb gerbers.
No more destroying originals carts, on both systems :D
Now i'm curious to know about everdrive compatibility, will it do? 8o

Back