What's new
JST XH is smaller indeed, JST NH is the one you want (it is also used in lots of other connecters for arcade stuff, so always keep a few in stock ;) )

Search sites like Mouser, RS Components, Digikey, whatever is available in your country

JST NH series
Housing: H6P-SHF-AA
Pins: SHF-001T-0.8BS
uses 22-28 AWG wire

You can order directly through JST:
https://order.jst-mfg.com/InternetS...tedPage=mainContent&countryId=840&language=en

minimum order quantity is usually a quantity of 10 per part. so either order a few housings you dont need or setup a group by.

LOTS of Sega harnesses use JST NH series stuff if you've got any old equipment kicking around.
Thank you very much for having business with JST Shop.
JST Shop will be closed for New Year Holidays from 28th Dec. 2017 to 4th Jan.2018.

I've ordered some from a different site that are NH and are a lot cheaper but thank you for showing me that link.

Those JST connectors are pretty impossible to obtain here in Colombia, any chance some of you guys may have an extra one and send it my way? please let me know the price+shipping costs via PM. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Those JST connectors are pretty impossible to obtain here in Colombia, any chance some of you guys may have an extra one and send it my way? please let me know the price+shipping costs via PM. Thanks!!
PM me if you need the JST connector. I have a few 13 position connectors that I can cut down to 6-position. I'll add in 3" of lead wire and the pins. It will work just fine. I'll just charge for shipping + $2.00 for handling (the cost of the envelope, tape, gas, etc.).

Hi!

So I was looking for another unrelated old hardware in my old-stuff case, and found a 4-pin cable that was used for connecting analog audio from ISA sound cards to old IDE CDROM drives, and it works fine for the multikit mod! yay! so I cut the cable and added the fourth pin (cable only brings 3: L, R and GND), it connects fine to the board. Hardware-wise: I'm OK now.

Now the problem: I took the SD card out of the kit, copied the flash.img file from the first post to the root of it (just outside the games directory), inserted it again on the kit and...nothing. Started the previously flashed game like nothing, and after taking out the card again, the flash.img file is still there. So: did I do something wrong? or just my kit requires flashing through hardware? any ideas other than shipping this thing back to the US (which costs a lot and takes a lot of time)?

Thanks!

You have the earliest firmware flashed in it, so yes you need the ST-LINK thing (HW) to update the kit.

You have the earliest firmware flashed in it, so yes you need the ST-LINK thing (HW) to update the kit.
Just what I did not want to read. Well, no way around it I guess, will get an arduino and the rest of needed stuff. And an instruction manual, that will be important too.

The discovery is cheap. Cheaper for you to buy then to ship the kit somewhere probably.

^THAT^
It's pretty easy to do. Once you get the discovery we'll support you until you get it done.

I think @l_oliveira has the right idea... If you are going to buy a connector just for this use, it should be the full 6pin head with only the center 4 wires/pins installed.

The only reason why I used the connector I did is it simply was what I had on hand/found in the bottom of my parts bin. Had I failed to find this connector, I would have just soldered directly to the back side of the B-board/connector with a ribbon cable (never removing this kit anyway).

I should also mention I sent my kit board to @Mitsurugi-w to be updated... I didn't want to mess with the discovery kit so to me it was worth the extra money.

^THAT^
It's pretty easy to do. Once you get the discovery we'll support you until you get it done.
Thanks Mitsu and DS. I'll look for it, but I am not sure what should I get. I searched for "discovery kit" and "st-link" and I am getting this: http://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32f0discovery.html but I am at a loss if this is or not what I need. Also, I have never used an arduino, so I do not know if that thing updates the kit by itself, or if it is an interface between the kit and a PC, if it requires Windows on a PC or not, what software, cables to connect...I have no clue where to begin with the updating task :P

Edit: Happy new year everybody! :):)

Thanks for any pointers.

^THAT^
Thanks Mitsu and DS. I'll look for it, but I am not sure what should I get. I searched for "discovery kit" and "st-link" and I am getting this: http://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32f0discovery.html but I am at a loss if this is or not what I need. Also, I have never used an arduino, so I do not know if that thing updates the kit by itself, or if it is an interface between the kit and a PC, if it requires Windows on a PC or not, what software, cables to connect...I have no clue where to begin with the updating task :P
Edit: Happy new year everybody! :):)

Thanks for any pointers.
Yes, that's what you need, just connect one end to the PC and the other to the multi game. The instructions to make it link and update are in the CPS2 section.

^THAT^
Thanks Mitsu and DS. I'll look for it, but I am not sure what should I get. I searched for "discovery kit" and "st-link" and I am getting this: http://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32f0discovery.html but I am at a loss if this is or not what I need. Also, I have never used an arduino, so I do not know if that thing updates the kit by itself, or if it is an interface between the kit and a PC, if it requires Windows on a PC or not, what software, cables to connect...I have no clue where to begin with the updating task :P Edit: Happy new year everybody! :):)

Thanks for any pointers.
Yes, that's what you need, just connect one end to the PC and the other to the multi game. The instructions to make it link and update are in the CPS2 section.
Thanks DS, I already found the guide here: Important Info About the CPS2 Multikit and I'm reading it to understand the general process of the upgrading. Only one question though: Is it required to solder cables to the kit to power it on? Id rather build some easily plugabble adapter that allows me to power it from one of its pins or something that does not require soldering to it. Also: what is the estimated power required by the board? I have a 5V 3A unregulated adapter, would that work?

Thanks!!

^THAT^
Thanks Mitsu and DS. I'll look for it, but I am not sure what should I get. I searched for "discovery kit" and "st-link" and I am getting this: http://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32f0discovery.html but I am at a loss if this is or not what I need. Also, I have never used an arduino, so I do not know if that thing updates the kit by itself, or if it is an interface between the kit and a PC, if it requires Windows on a PC or not, what software, cables to connect...I have no clue where to begin with the updating task :P Edit: Happy new year everybody! :):)
Thanks for any pointers.
Yes, that's what you need, just connect one end to the PC and the other to a1 the multi game. The instructions to make it link and update are in the CPS2 section.
Thanks DS, I already found the guide here: Important Info About the CPS2 Multikit and I'm reading it to understand the general process of the upgrading. Only one question though: Is it required to solder cables to the kit to power it on? Id rather build some easily plugabble adapter that allows me to power it from one of its pins or something that does not require soldering to it. Also: what is the estimated power required by the board? I have a 5V 3A unregulated adapter, would that work?
Thanks!!
Yes, as the guide explains you need to solder some cables. 1.5 Amp should be enough, but check with a meter that you get those 5V for real and not 4.9V.

You can solder in regular pins and just use dupont cables to do the update. Then just leave the pins. No need to remove them.

This warning about the FW installation procedure has been added to the original post:

WARNING!!!! DO NOT INSTALL THE WIRES UNTIL AFTER UPDATING THE FW!!!! IF THE WIRES ARE INSTALLED WHILE TRYING TO UPDATE THE FW YOU WILL CORRUPT THE BOOT-LOADER ON THE KIT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO REWRITE IT USING A DISCOVERY!!!

This warning about the FW installation procedure has been added to the original post:

WARNING!!!! DO NOT INSTALL THE WIRES UNTIL AFTER UPDATING THE FW!!!! IF THE WIRES ARE INSTALLED WHILE TRYING TO UPDATE THE FW YOU WILL CORRUPT THE BOOT-LOADER ON THE KIT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO REWRITE IT USING A DISCOVERY!!!
Interesting, I guess that's probably what happened to me on page 9 then?

Just wanted to confirm the firmware update process. I have version 4 cps2 board and a multi from last year so I don't think I will need a discovery granted I do this right.

1) Add the flash file to my sd card
2) Boot up the multi with the sd card so it writes the firmware and turn off when finished
3) Take the cover off and remove the reboot wire
4) Add the 4 wires as listed here.
DATAArduino #2→ CN2 A32
SETUP1Arduino #3→ CN2 A30
CLOCKArduino #11→ CN2 A31
SETUP2Arduino #12→ CN2 A29
5) Add my resister down on the cn2 connection since I have a version 4 board
6) (Optional but recommended) Remove the files off the sd card and use smokemonster's new rom pack that writes firmware
7) Add sd card and test
8) Cross fingers and toes I should be done!? Game on with perfect roms.

Everything sounds easy. Just two areas where I have questions. On my step 2 how can I confirm the firmware update was successful? Anything show up on the lcd or do I just check the flash file is missing off my card if I don't see any changes on screen or lcd after 5-10 minutes? On step 5 I read that as my board definitely needs the resister which just came in this week. Can I test with a voltmeter for that or would you have to do all the steps above but don't add the resister, see if it works, and if it doesn't add the resister?

Back