What's new
none of the eproms would verify with any Asia hsf2 rom sets so don't know what version it was coded with

Most likely the Phoenix set, possibly Avalanche. Either way the ROMs would have been combined and won’t read against anything in MAME for verification

Good work on your changes. I would recommend considering an Infinikey and removing the battery just to prevent the risk of damage

is that an original maxwell battery or do they still sell ER3s in that design? If it's an original, I'd recommend changing it..
They still make them in japan, i bought a case of them date stamped 07-21

Most likely the Phoenix set, possibly Avalanche. Either way the ROMs would have been combined and won’t read against anything in MAME for verification

Good work on your changes. I would recommend considering an Infinikey and removing the battery just to prevent the risk of damage
Yes i tried running them against phoenix roms and no luck, the only roms to verify were 3 and 4 which where avalanche roms which would be right as it didn't originally have a battery, even when i split an orignal Asia roms set they didnt verify.

I downloaded a japan hsf2 rom set and split the roms, also i like using batteries, in entire 30 years of owning cps2s and replacing them every 5 years I've never had one leak or die, the problem comes when people use cheap ass batteries or store boards away for years on end and never play them that's when problems happen, also each to thier own with infinity keys, i personally don't like them my xmen cota came with one once and either the thing was faulty or installed wrong but every so often it would boot to a suicide screen or crash halfway through a game, took it off in the end and put a battery back on never had any issues after that.

Is it safe to buy EPROMs off eBay? Mouser and Digikey have really long lead times. Any reliable sources would be appreciated!

Yeah at this point it's just gambling with the chinese guys, who buy old EPROMs and put fake new tops on them. I just got like 10 27C040s where all the tops were backwards, so the notch was in the wrong place (you can still see the real notch under the fake top) they worked fine though.

Like everything on eBay some sellers are better than others, maybe we should start a thread of those people have had good experiences with?

buyicnow.com are legit as an example. They’ll even burn them for you for a small fee

Surely I've done something wrong here converting SFZ3 to Progear. I grabbed a set of roms from AliExpress, popped them all in, changed my infinikey pads, then... Nothing. Black or dark red screen. Popped out and reseated the main program roms and double checked my infinikey, no change. Any suggestions?

IMG_20220902_090450_443.jpg

I just woke up but off the top of my head the jumpers look good. For using an infinikey, are you sure it's an encrypted ROM set and not decrypted?

Reactions: nem
I... am not actually sure about that. I'll ask the seller. Assuming that having an infinikey installed with decrypted roms would not work?

I... am not actually sure about that. I'll ask the seller. Assuming that having an infinikey installed with decrypted roms would not work?
Right, but the good news is if they are decrypted you can just remove it, make sure the extra capacitor is briefly shorted to clear any potential keys, and it should just work.

Hi Guys,

I would like to convert my MSH into a SSF2X!
I have been through the howto which seems to be clear, in order to move forward I need to order all the needed Eproms & PAL.

I'm posting this to check if anyone here can sell me the necessary eproms/PAL to burn, I have a TL866 so should be fine to burn everything.
Otherwise I will order on Aliexpress but this will take times and we never know if Eproms are the right one or not.

Regarding the PAL I should go for a PAL B to avoid the jumper wire on rev 3/4 board as I'm using a rev 4 board.

Let me know
Cheers
Jon

There's a guy selling complete EPROM + pal sets on AliExpress -- that's where I got the Progear roms mentioned above. They're phoenix edition but they work fine and it's just $60cad delivered for a whole set. Cheaper than buying blank EPROMs :)

Will ping them thanks
Is it possible to use an encrypted set, my board is still on battery.

They can probably flash whatever you want onto the chips, shoot em a message and maybe an archive.org link to the specific rom files

Guys,

I need your help, I converted a MSH into a SSF2X, I bought the romset pack to Aliexpress.
My board is a Rev 4 one.
The game is working fine, graphics are good so no issue on this side I guess.

Sound is not working correctly, voices are ok like Round 1, Fight or Hadoken etc but music is garbage.
I'm not sure what I missed, I installed the jumper wire from PAL BGSB3G pin 9 to CN3/13 but still the music is not working.

I tested on romident Eproms 1 & 2, they are ok.
My jumpers settings are as follow: SOOS_SO_OSOSOS_SOSOSOSO_SOSOSOSO

Any help much appreciated.

Jon

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 81
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg