What's new

300wins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also want to point out that Xeon CPU (in the Sandy Bridge family) works on the X3. The highest I have seen that works is the Xeon E3-1290.

Attachments

• XeonE3-1290.jpg
    XeonE3-1290.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 46

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Picked a twin frozr III 760 2gb model, KoFXIV crashes after the initial SNK splash screen, while SFV:TA gives me a error on boot but once past that it seems to be fine. Any ideas on how to get KoF to work?

This is 99% not a bios issue. The twin Frozr 760 cards usually have the non uefi bios on them. If it was a bios issue, you wouldn't get past the Taito screen, that's where you get locked if you are using a UEFI bios.

As for the games, could be a bunch of stuff.... What IO are you using? Fastio? Card reader not installed does cause that exact error with KOF, but make sure you have the nvidia video driver installed for your card. Sometimes when you put a new card in, it gets a weird driver, or the driver doesn't install properly, some games will still run... but just check that it's installed ok, it's good to just run the nvidia installer again to install the new card, even if it's the same driver.

If it was working fine before, i'm going to say driver error. Also make sure you have the correct power running to the card, 760 usually requires a 6 pin and an 8 pin power connector, which the default TTX3 PSU doesn't have.

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
I've tested a lot of video cards over the last few months. The GTX 680 cards are by far the best value for money. They're significantly faster than a gtx 760 card, and they usually require 2 x 6 pin power connectors which the TTX3 PSU has out of the box.

IF you can find yourself a twin FROZR gtx 680, these cards are good, they have a bios that i know works well, they use 2 x 6 pin power connectors so you don't need any extra cables. They also fit really well into the case with no modification.

Some of these cards come with UEFI bioses though, i'll post the bios you need in a later post.

1618476281956.png

There's nothing wrong with the 760 cards either, the 680 card is probably 5-15% more power over the 760 depending on the games.
The stock 660 cards that come with the system aren't exactly that powerful... They play all TTX1/2 games fine, but when you get to 1080p 3d games, they struggle a bit.

I've been meaning to make some benchmark videos on the TTX3 system using the different card, i just haven't gotten around to it. I did do a lot of testing though!

Last edited:

kevindg86

Student
Reaction score
Yeah the 660 played kof fine like 99% of the time, sfv felt sluggish and massive slowdown like 20% of the time.

Sfv plays perfectly with the 760, but I'll just check my connections with the card reader. Not sure how I'm gonna upgrade the drivers for it, it's kinda a jank system.

It also wouldn't boot with just the two 6pin power cord, I just spliced in the two grounds on one and it booted just fine

300wins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't ever play SFV, but I've heard that there is a memory leak issue with SFV, so it's performance isn't the best gauge to measure against.

kevindg86

Student
Reaction score
Managed to get a keyboard hooked up to it and like SFV, once I cleared the error it boot up just fine. SFV just let me hit the start button to bypass the error. Just a weird thing I'll have to do to boot it everytime

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Another card confirmed working in TTX3.
NOTE: There are different revisions of this card, and the bios listed below does not work for all of thoser revisions. Buy/Use at your own risk.

EVGA GTX 680 2GB 02G-P4-2680-KR
2680.png

Original

680evga-originalstate.gif

After Flash

680.gif

Bios file i used to flash it is attached.

I tested the card quite extensively, ran a lot of benchmarks and furmark burn in for a few hours. NO ISSUES. (took a few different bios flashes to get this card to work, i bricked it in the process but was able to bring it back as a secondary card in teh system)

AS ALWAYS-----ALWAYS TAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CARD ORIGINAL BIOS BEFORE YOU FLASH ANYTHING!

Attachments

• 680msibios-flashforevgacard.zip
    55 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
MSI Twin FROZR 680 2GB 2GB model

This card works fine.

It comes with or without a UEFI bios, and some of the non UEFI bios images for this card DO NOT work on the TTX3. So it's not a blanket rule that NON UEFI = going to work.

The bios posted below does work. I've tested it on 3 cards now.

Also remember that some modern motherboards won't work with a NON EUFI video card unless you have compaitbility support turned on, and even then, sometimes they don't work. SO... if you get a UEFI card, and it does work in your computer, after you flash it and reboot it might no longer work in that machine, so you should test it in your TTX3 unit before you think you have killed the card.

post-44732-0-78615700-1384241929.jpg

Flash using nvflash with the -6 flag

AS ALWAYS-----ALWAYS TAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CARD ORIGINAL BIOS BEFORE YOU FLASH ANYTHING! YOU USE THIS AND FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Attachments

• MSI.GTX680.2048.120727.zip
    55 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
NVIDIA GTX780 reference card - 3GB Ram model.

This card works fine. Only the reference 780 model. Not the TI model and as fasr as i know no other 780 models work either (they have no NON UEFI bios) but i could be wrong. These cards generally don't work out of the box, finding one with a NON UEFI bios on it is rare, so you pretty much always have to flash them.

This is probably the most powerful card you can run in the TTX3. It's the latest card that i can find a NON UEFI bios for. There may be other later cards you can create NON EUFI bios for, but not that i can find already done.

These cards run pretty quiet, they're really good for running newer stuff @1080p. I haven't treied Mortal Kombat 11 yet, but it runs SF5 super smooth, it runs injustice 2 really smooth.

These cards take 1 x 6 pin and 1 x8 pin power connector so you will need a 6 pin to 8 pin power connector adaptor.

You will also need to mount the case fan on the outside of the case as this card doesn't quite fit with the case fan inside the case. I'll update this post with a picture of mine tomorrow. It's very clean mod and it actually cools the system better than when it's on the inside.

gtx780.jpg

Flash using nvflash with the -6 flag

AS ALWAYS-----ALWAYS TAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CARD ORIGINAL BIOS BEFORE YOU FLASH ANYTHING! YOU USE THIS AND FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Attachments

• MSI.GTX780.3072.130808_1.zip
    64.5 KB · Views: 14

darkgunsou86

Student
Reaction score
how much improvement the 780 have over the 680? already booked the 680 so have to commit to that.

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
For anything TTX related, absolutely nothing.

If you want to run later PC games on your TTX3, it will give you some improvements.

As a general guide, here's some pc games running side by side on 680/780. 780 is around 20-50% faster. Compare the AVG framerate on these AAA titles.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGK5G37piqw

That being said, the 680 will run everything arcade on the TTX without fail. You won't notice any difference between 680 or 780, until you start adding PC games and turning the detail up to very high @ 1080p.

Also, 680 is generally half the price of the 780.

The 680 is also around 20-50% faster than the 660 stock cards. Depending on the title.

Here's a not so good benchmark comparing the 660 to 680, the FPS number is in the middle, it gives you as rough idea. Again, keep in mind this is on AAA titles, these FPS numbers are lower than TTX3 titles will play. TTX3 titles don't generally come close to the level of graphical power needed to run some of those AAA games.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uh88cYZ-Bs&ab_channel=AZ3ROX-GaminG

300wins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a GTX 780 in my X3, so I know for sure it works 100%. The model that Murry shows... 3 companies make them and they all look the same. The companies are PNY, EVGA and nVidia.

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
@300wins was the person that put me onto the 780 video card in the first place! Hats off to him!

darkgunsou86

Student
Reaction score
i won't be using my ttx3 to play pc games as i have another desktop with rtx 2070.
the 680 will be just fine for my ttx3. thanks. i changed the thermal paste on the stock cpu and gpu with kryonaut and the fan noise is reduced. no more ramping up at certain intervals.

tonyt76

Professional
Reaction score
You will also need to mount the case fan on the outside of the case as this card doesn't quite fit with the case fan inside the case. I'll update this post with a picture of mine tomorrow. It's very clean mod and it actually cools the system better than when it's on the inside.
@Murray would love to see those pics!

tonyt76

Professional
Reaction score
Capture.JPG

I have this card, it has 2 X 8pin power inputs. Could I use 6pin to 8pin adapters?

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Capture.JPG

I have this card, it has 2 X 8pin power inputs. Could I use 6pin to 8pin adapters?

Yes you can, i use them with one of my cards. I just try to find cards that have the 6 pin power connectors because it means i don't have to spend more money on adaptors! It will run fine with them though, the PSU should have enough wattage to drive any 680 card and the rest of the system. I'm using a 780 in my main machine and it runs fine and that definitely draws more power than a 680 does.

I posted the pics of the oversized card and external fan mounting in this thread here.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...x3-owners-thread-pics-info-stuff.15623/page-3

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
That EVGA card is going to struggle for clearance with the IO board though..... Just sayin! You might have to mount it differently. See how you go.

This section right here is where your daughter IO card sits in the case.

1623066984532.png