What's new
I guess your card is a different revision because of the hardware ID difference.
Yeah, yours has Hynix memory, mine Samsung.

Do you mean that the original bios that was on your card was the same as the one i flashed to get my card working?
Yeah, mine came already flashed with the MSI BIOS. Weird right? I wonder why would the previous owner do that… unless he attempted the same thing. No idea.

My TTX3 BIOS is an earlier revision than yours :
E9A46I3E v1.0b13 040512

The options you mentioned are the same.

So far I did a bit further testing :

The PSU outputs 12.29V to the GPU, connector is ok.

I tried different way to boot, but always with the VGA cable on integrated gfx.
With no GTX connected at all / with PCI-e only (no power) / with pci-e and power connected.
Same results, the GTX is not detected at all in device manager, and neither by the BIOS I assume.

If connected properly (pci-e +power), same, only integrated gfx works. GTX not detected in device manager or BIOS.

it’s basically like the GTX isn’t there at all.

Am I right thinking there’s no UEFI version of this GPU right? As to rule that out.

Edit:
One thing to note, regarding the TTX BIOS and the GPU BIOS :
My TTX3 BIOS - E9A46I3E v1.0b13 040512
Your TTX3 BIOS - E9A46I3E V1.0b16 071113
The MSI GTX680 BIOS 80.04.47.00.03 - BIOS build date : 2012-11-29
So, possibly the GPU BIOS compatibility could not have been implemented in such an early TTX3 BIOS and I’m just out of luck.

Last edited:
It’s originally a gunslinger stratos (guns3 -installment). It came with a GTX660 Twin frozr iii.

A
My 680 EVGA card works in the TTX3 unit that has bios
E9A46I3E v1.0b13 040512

It works in both different bios systems. I have a Gunslinger 3 unit as well with a 680 card installed and it works fine. It's a Twin Frozr 680, i'll try swap the EVGA card into that system just as a last resort for testing, but other than that i don't really know what else to offer for help. You could try another bios file.

EDIT: I just re-read your post. Windows is not detecting the GTX card at all, so definitely a bios issue with the card. BUT... it's not an incompatibility with the earlier TTX bios, because my 680 works on that bios. Even though we have different revision of the same card.
It’s great to be able to rule out the TTX3 BIOS. Thanks for your help.

At this point I’m tempted to get another GTX660 with matching device ID with yours and see where it takes me.

I still find very suspicious that my card came already on the exact same MSI BIOS.

edit: yeah, seems like we’re on the same page there

When you say "patched" what do you mean exactly?

The -6 flag should work with the regular linux version of nvflash, it's a standard command built in to the regular version.

As far as i'm aware the patched version of nvflash just has that command automatically applied when you run it and you don't need the -6 flag to flash with the vendor ID mismatch. It just removes the safety check by default. The latest release has a linux version as well. I wasn't aware it was available for linux so i haven't tested it.

1624162946481.png

Or you might mean something else?
Yup, that was my question, thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for all the testing you and others have done on this thread :thumbsup:

Managed to snag an Nvidia Reference 780 and MSI 780ti, so gonna flash those with the non-uefi bios.

I have obtained a 680 card and it doesn't work. stuck at a black screen with a flashing prompt and the ttx3 restarts after some time. I haven't flashed any bios to it yet. hoping someone can recommend what bios i can use to flash this card. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 82
Today i put a Gainward GTX680 in mine. will run Multi stuff perfectly . but of course any original game or clones of original games will require the custom Bios i reckon

i've flashed the card and i needed to use the -6. it still works fine on the pc. when i plugged it in the ttx3, there's 5 beeps and no image is displayed. is it not compatible?

Last edited:
i've flashed back the card with the 3A firmware. it just hangs at the white ttx3 logo screen. i will try the firmware you posted. i actually did not connect the case fan.
i found out it causes the black screen with a flashing prompt when i reinstall the 660gtx card without the case fan.
how do i reflash the card when they die with a 2nd card? how will nvflash flash the correct card? i have a rtx 2070
the new firmware still gets me stuck at the logo screen. i installed the 660gtx and i get stuck too. i guess something else is not right instead of the graphics card. may I know what causes the TTX3 to get stuck at the white TTX3 logo screen?
update: i've got it working finally. flashed to the original 3A firmware. the white screen is due to the bios security settings being reset.
the original black screen with the flashing prompt is due to the case fan not connected. this card works without any bios flashing needed.

Last edited:
i got it working finally. it was just the case fan not connected yesterday. i flashed it back to the original 3A firmware and set the hdd security again. finally works.
the weird thing is fighting layer EX is sluggish. worse than the 660gtx which had the thermal paste replaced. i launched the SFV benchmark and it's 30fps. has some setting been changed automatically when the 680 is detected?

Last edited:
oh i've tested the games straight away. i tested a few games and they are all sluggish. guess they are locked in 30fps. how can i fix this?

Attachments

• 20210626_135603.jpg
    20210626_135603.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 108
the driver is fine. but the 1080p resolution is hardlocked to 30Hz even if the nvidia control panel settings is not 30hz. mine is set to 120hz. i had no problems with this setting with the 660gtx. the lowest i can go is 100hz in 1080p. i don't know what else to do.

Attachments

• 20210626_140907.jpg
    20210626_140907.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 94
yes thats why i am at my wits end with this card. i am going to do something else for now. i will come back to diagnose what is the problem later on. thanks

@Murray , yes mate thats the card, only just fit in my X3 , but works fine on the multi stuff , but not on official games

Finally got it working properly. With the original 3A bios, it works on the PC. I get 60Hz in the SFV benchmark on the PC. With Furmark, I saw it draws about 232W for 50fps in 1080p with no MSAA. With MSAA, it gets lower the higher MSAA I go. I get 74fps with 720p. i flashed it with the Twin Frozr 680 bios you recommended. With Furmark, i saw it draws about 83W with the same fps even with lower clockspeeds by about 78Mhz. seems like this bios is better with much less power draw at the same performance.
I proceeded to test it in the TTX3. I finally saw the SFV benchmark runs at 60Hz in 1080p. In Nvidia control panel, I saw more options I can choose other than 120, 119 and 100Hz so I chose 60Hz. I even set all the graphics setting to Max for all the options and it runs at near 60fps. Now the games run perfectly smooth. The only issue now is how can I screw the case back on. The GPU power cable is blocking the case and the fan can't be secured to its' original place.

I left the SFV benchmark running, the TTX3 restarts by itself. Does this happen even in arcades when no one plays the TTX3 for some time when it sits at the attract mode? Hoping I can switch this annoying feature off.

Another curious thing I noticed is that the SFV benchmark graphics look way sharper and clearer on the PC compared to TTX3 even at Max settings. They are supposed to be the same program.
Does this mean the latest GPUs have automatic improved graphics in games when compared to older GPUs?

Attachments

• 20210626_132549.jpg
    20210626_132549.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
The extra power required for the overclocks would be justified if there's better performance but there isn't so no point in having the original 3A bios drawing so much power for a measly 78Mhz gain with no extra performance. I will stick with the Twin Frozr bios as it allows 60Hz. The original 3A firmware locks the games to 30Hz so it's not a good bios for TTX3 usage.

Thanks for the 90 degree connector and fan modification advice.

I might test the card in my PC to see if if the card is causing resets. I don't think I have played the TTX3 for more than an hour or maybe I did. The TTX3 resets when I left it alone with no inputs at the SFV benchmark results screen. I don't know if it will reset when I am playing a game if the card is actually causing the resets. Guess I will have to find out.

The graphics in arcade games are fixed like console games since they are programmed to work only on a particular hardware. The SFV benchmark is not an arcade game but should be the same for both PC and TTX3. I don't think there should be any difference in the graphics as they have the same assets (textures etc) and resolution? The graphics setting can be changed just like on the PC. I am using my QLED tv with both PC and TTX3. Anyway, it's just a benchmark and I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

You have been really helpful. Guess dinner/lunch is on me when I am in Melbourne. Been missing the cakes in Hopetoun Tea Rooms.

Last edited:
Just wanted to report, my MSI Geforce GTX 780 Ti was using a UEFI firmware, and was booting to the Taito screen, then resetting itself. I found and flashed this non-UEFI firmware onto it, and it works fine now. A point of caution, the 780 is very long, so the nearby case fan needs to be replaced with a slim noctua - or you need to remove the original fan's screen. Also you may need to remove the metal bracket/separator that that's screwed into the case lid, if your old card was smaller.

Is it worth getting the 780 vs the other cards in this thread that work? I have no idea, just wanted to report the stock behavior and remedy.

I just upgraded to beta3 of a certain image, and I’m noticing an oddity I wonder if anyone here can help troubleshoot. The discussion above makes me think it could be power draw…

T7 and ExLayer both routinely spin up all the fans briefly and then crash the unit. ExLayer worked fine previously but I doubt my MSI 780Ti was pushing 1080p on that image. My monitor is 1440p and I am setting it to 1080 but maybe that’s still being part of the issue.

Anyway I’m wondering if I should upgrade the psu or if it could be another issue altogether, like the bios I’m using on my 780Ti. I have an i7 2600k in there too.

Any advice is welcome! How to find a crash log, something to A/B test. I’m not up to speed on pc based systems so I’m mostly flying blind.

Well at least I think my graphics card is OK. It’s using the bios for it, just the non-UEFI version. Furmark 1080p test ran for 2 hours at 100%GPU and 75c for temp.

I don’t know enough about the x3 image I’m using but maybe it’s trying to push 1440p despite the settings, since my monitor is 1440p. I may try to hook this card back into the TTX3 and try a 1080p monitor just to see if that changes things. Otherwise I’ll poke around in the games’ directories on the drive to see if I can notice anything. Most of the image works but at least those two games just crash the thing.

Back