What's new
Okay, I will try it tomorrow and let you know later that evening on how it goes. Thanks in advance for this.

I just want to say that @Murray is a rock star! The updated bios he uploaded works perfectly for the reference card I have and while the card got somewhat warm, it wasn't burning hot like it was before. Plus, the whole case was just cooler overall. There was no freezing as I played through a whole game (6 matches, 3 wins per match) and it did not freeze or do anything strange even once. So thanks again @Murray!

Another card confirmed working in TTX3.
NOTE: There are different revisions of this card, and the bios listed below does not work for all of thoser revisions. Buy/Use at your own risk.

EVGA GTX 680 2GB 02G-P4-2680-KR
2680.png

Original

680evga-originalstate.gif

After Flash

680.gif

Bios file i used to flash it is attached.

I tested the card quite extensively, ran a lot of benchmarks and furmark burn in for a few hours. NO ISSUES. (took a few different bios flashes to get this card to work, i bricked it in the process but was able to bring it back as a secondary card in teh system)

AS ALWAYS-----ALWAYS TAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CARD ORIGINAL BIOS BEFORE YOU FLASH ANYTHING!

Hi @Murray. I was able to find an EVGA 680 with the same revision as yours: 02G-P4-2680-KR

Using your BIOS, I was able to update without a problem. I'm doing this on a normal PC. The only thing I notice when I compare mine to yours after the BIOS swap is that my Subvendor and Device ID remain the same. But on yours, it shows MSI and a different Device ID.

How do you change your Subvendor and Device ID and is it necessary? I have not installed this EVGA 680 into a TTX3 just yet as I want to ask you first.

IMG_3757.jpg IMG_3758.jpg

My GPU BEFORE
IMG_3754.jpg

My GPU AFTER
IMG_3756.jpg

Maybe one of you isn't using the patched version of NVFlash64?

I wish there was a way I can help you more in regards to figuring out a way to get everyone's X3 to be able to update to the later Figureheads bios. But sadly that is way above my skill set.
I am hoping you succeed in dumping it correctly and everything turns out smoothly.

No problem, thanks for replying. Wow okay, another weird one.

1. Yes I get that confirmation too on the command line. I think I used both the regular and patched version of nvflash because of the vendor ID situation. And I wanted to see if either version of nvflash affected the result.
2. I bought a new replacement fan for the EVGA 680. Waiting for that to arrive and then I'll try to re-flash the BIOS again. I'll give you an update on that when it happens.
3. The new replacement fans for the MSI 680 Twinfrozr finally arrived so I can install them now and we can see if the fans spin the whole time. I'll give you an update on that as well. ***The EVGA 680 fan spins the whole time, but it's wobbling, so I ordered a new replacement.

You're not having much luck... The twin frozr fans are tedious to put in, you have to take almost every screw out. Take a pic before you remove all the old fans where the wires go. It'll make your life easier. Hopefully this fixes your problem.

If it makes you feel any better nearly all the cards i get don't have perfect fans either. A few were good, but most need replacing.

I have experience dismantling this GPU. I usually dismantle old GPUs I buy, clean them and re-apply thermal grease. Hey man I'm glad I'm not the only one with less than stellar luck on old GPU purchases. :)

Did the new fans fix your issue though?

I haven't done it. I'll be working on replacing the MSI 680 twinfrozr and EVGA 680 with new fans these next couple of days. I'll let you know. The new fans for both cards just arrived tonight.

Was reading online that many of the newest GPUs have a hybrid bios to support both legacy and Uefi bios. I’ll toss my RTX3070 in my TTX3 for science later today. I’ve read the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1650 works with legacy bios.
How did your science experiment go? Any luck?

How did your science experiment go? Any luck?

I'm actually interested in this also. I'm rebuilding in a TX3 case with an AMD 5600X and RTX3060 with no intentions of running the multi but curious for the name of science. I do have ideas.

I'm actually interested in this also. I'm rebuilding in a TX3 case with an AMD 5600X and RTX3060 with no intentions of running the multi but curious for the name of science. I do have ideas.
I bought 4 ttx3's for cheap on Yaj with intentions on making them all multi's... or possibly building some custom PCs and reuse the case and io's...just gotta buy more cabs now.

I needed some 6pin -> 8pin adapters to for the GPU to work with the PSU. I haven't had a chance yet to put it all together because of work and other projects but hopefully will find some time later this week :)

I needed some 6pin -> 8pin adapters to for the GPU to work with the PSU. I haven't had a chance yet to put it all together because of work and other projects but hopefully will find some time later this week :)

I swapped out the PSU for a Corsair SFX600. Cleans up nicely. RTX3060 arrives today, hope to post some shots soon.

Ok I confirm that the 2600K works on a GigaByte MB but doesn't work on my 2 Type X3

can someone make a dump of his motherboard bios that works with 2600K?
I have just tried an i7 2600k on my ttx3 b13 bios and it work good. So the problem with your cpu is not bios version (microcode) related.

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_193523.jpg
    IMG_20210929_193523.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 96
Did the new fans fix your issue though?

@Murray I finally have updates and they're all positive.

1. EVGA 680 and MSI 680 - all fans are now brand new.
2. MSI 680 fans now spin all the time. Whereas before, they didn't spin until temp reached around 78 degrees C.
3. EVGA 680 BIOS now patched and working. Also now shows subvendor MSI.

With all that said, I'm most likely going to put the MSI Twinfrozr inside the TTX3 since it runs cooler than the EVGA.

I have photos.

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

Awesome! You've been through a bit of hassle with these cards. Glad to hear you finally got it all sorted. Now you can play all the games on there with reasonable framerates! The ES3 games will thank you for it.

The fans are just shit on those cards after a number of years use. Both the msi frozr cards and the reference 680 design, reference 760's are the same. I've got 4 here, 3 with basically non working fans and one spins but vibrates... *sigh* it gets expensive trying to make these cards have working fans on them all. Most of the fan replacements you can buy now are all second hand as well, finding new ones is tricky and even more expensive.

Hopefully soon we will unlock being able to use any card on all TTX3 machines.

Hey man, I appreciate all your help, tips and bios files. Without your knowledge, I wouldn't have been able to get to this point! :D

The fan replacements I was lucky enough to buy brand new from China. And I'm glad they all worked since they took a long time to get here. I'm sure sometime in the future, these replacement fans will cease to be made. Which makes me think I should get backups while I still can.

I just found out that I have a i5-3570K laying around connected to an old motherboard in some box. Has anyone tried upgrading the i3 model to this type of i5? Will it work?

Back