What's new
For Sale
I feel for personal home use a step down isn’t really necessary for most candies. I’ve been running all my cabinets without a step down just fine with no issues.

However running all day for commercial use, you will most likely need one.

I have owned my Egret for about 7 years and never used a stepdown. Never had any problems with it either, and for 5 of those years it was my only cabinet and put through the works.

Ahh yes, this debate... As usual no one brings AC to DC theory into it. If you wanna use a Step-Down then by all means do it if you want that safeguard, extra peace of mind.

I have encountered 2 JP Electronics that have failed on US Voltage. Both results were completely different as they were completely different circuit types.

1.) 100V rated JP Unregulated supply Hairdryer. These have no regulation at all, the heating elements are designed to work on 100v. Elements melted after 3yrs of use.
2.) Astro City on 120v for over 10yrs on a non-surge protected line. Blew all the regulators (stopped working after storm which resulted in a power outage), classic surge killed it. Replaced and worked again.

- Unless you have an older 80s or so JP cab or an oddball cab that is running unregulated power. > All our PSUs are regulated and/or regulated and switched. All Candy cab monitors have Regulated Supplies on the chassis.

That extra 15-25v is gonna be dissipated off the Power Supply circuits and Voltage Regs. So if anything, you are more sensitive to surges, as your tolerances are lower.

TLDR: Proper Surge Protection is the most important over everything here ppl have recommended. A Stepdown or Up without having proper surge protection used in addition is 100% useless. Don't be cheap or think cause its never happened that it never will.

@acblunden2, 110v? Guess you mean 100v? :)
Yeah man, I went back and made edits :P

$40 for a step down convertor. If all that buys is peace of mind, I'll settle for it.

I can tell you that lots of arcade schwag comes up for sale in my area. But hardly any Candy cabs. Whenever a Candy cab comes up for sale, it is dead. When I ask the seller if they used a step down, they respond with "what's a step down?". I've now fixed Nanao chassis on 3 dead Candy cab pick-ups between me and some local friends. I can tell you that cost fixed shipped from PnL is about $100. These 3 cabs now run all with step downs and none have needed further repair.

Not sure if there is a correlation. But even if the risk margin is thin, what is being wagered is a $40 step down convertor.

Ahh yes, this debate... As usual no one brings AC to DC theory into it. If you wanna use a Step-Down then by all means do it if you want that safeguard, extra peace of mind.

And lots more info.
The PSU in the Vewlix F and AWSD hate not being on stepdowns, both are not 80s cabs. You can even watch the red LED on the PSU pulsate when not on one.

Lots of candies do play nicely with US voltages, but there are as many that don't, and they're not all ancient ones.

I don't have any issue plugging the City or Aero Table straight into the surge protector, but the Vewlix (when using the PSU) and Egret 3 act super wonky. Maybe just blame Wei-ya for cruddy power supplies?I'm not sure, but it's definitely a necessity and not a choice on some cabs.

Having a stepdown with the Vewlix JVS PSU is mandatory. And yes people, please use a quality surge protector, not the dollar store ones.

It’s only mandatory if you use that weiya psu. I ripped that junk out, tossed in a sanwa and good to go. I use nothing weiya in my cabinets.

It’s definitely not needed for running Type X2.

When you run them at the wrong voltages, sure
You know Round 1 has dozens of Vewlix cabs in service (among many other Japanese only cabs) at their US locations, I'd be curious what they do to deal with the voltage issues on the Vewlix PSUs.

When you run them at the wrong voltages, sure
You know Round 1 has dozens of Vewlix cabs in service (among many other Japanese only cabs) at their US locations, I'd be curious what they do to deal with the voltage issues on the Vewlix PSUs.
We’ll, the voltage issue is only with the Weiya JVS power supplies Taito used. I don’t think round one is running cabs with the jvs psu. the original psu for the monitor or the 12v psu for the rest of the cab works ok with 120v. But regardless, ill run the cabs at the JP voltage as intended.

The majority of the games I've seen running in HD cabs don't use the Vewlix PSU, they just use the outlet inside the cab, like a TTX2/3 would. I haven't seen Naomi or 2x6 running in a cab out here at all. So it's likely just a non-issue.

Agree 100%. If you have Weiya / Rodotron / Makvision products you are just asking to have issues, period.
When you run them at the wrong voltages, sure. :P
When you run the Taiwan standard for garbage in your cab, sure :P

In all seriousness though. Their rebranded Rodotron and Makvision products are designed for 120v and fail constantly. Just like their 100v PSU and Chassis with a proper stepdown.

Some run Weiya for TypeX stuff and if it fails a standard Switching PSU replacement. Their other Vewlix setups are just regular 15A JAMMA PSUs with a Video Converter or a Sun and its equivalent. Everything is on 120V.

@ReplicaX. I dunno, I've never had an issue across half a dozen AWSD's and Egret 3's I've owned, or the 1 Vewlix I have with them. I'll assume I just have good luck!

I can't be bothered to fix Taito or the previous game center or whoever being cheap on my own unless they actually fail, so it's Weiya until they die, then I'll put something nicer in its place.

It’s only mandatory if you use that weiya psu. I ripped that junk out, tossed in a sanwa and good to go. I use nothing weiya in my cabinets.

It’s definitely not needed for running Type X2.
Link to the Sawna PSU please.

Back