What's new
Any ideas why the multi may not recognize or flash the new 'flash.img' file?

Previously I had updated my CPS2 multi using the discovery programmer and flashed the older 'flash.img' file successfully for autoboot using the same SD card.

To try out the new firmware, I removed the reset wire from SWD5 then soldered up dupont wires to the multi and to CN2 for easy connection/disconnection on my 93646B-3 board.

Next I placed the new flash.img file on my SD card and turned the system on. It acted like the flash.img file was not there and I simply received a black screen. Rebooting and trying to flash one of the new games would appear to be successful, but black screen still after power back on.

Next, I disconnected the dupont connections and flashed SFIIX using my old directory. After reset the game works just fine.

So, I know the B board is working, I know the CPS2 multi is working, but I'm unable to get the new firmware to flash. I tried placing it on the root of my SD card as well as in the 'games' folder. I also tried reformatting the SD card with no change in results.

Edit: Oh also, the multi still doesn't flash the new firmware w/ the dupont wires disconnected.

Attachments

• IMG_20171203_124021.jpg
    IMG_20171203_124021.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 269
Its very picky about the file name. Make sure no spaces, etc got added and confirm it is the correct extension.

Its very picky about the file name. Make sure no spaces, etc got added and confirm it is the correct extension.
Just confirmed the filename is exactly 'flash.img' with no extra spaces. I tried extracting directly from the zip in the OP to my card, as well as to my PC (running windows) then copied to card.

It should be in the root folder of the card right, not the games folder?

Last edited:
yep that's right, put the firmware in the root directory, not /games.
after you boot it up, the file should have been read and deleted.
is the image file still on the sd card when you look at it, afterwards?

Make sure that you follow the instructions detailed here:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...ith-auto-boot-already-tested-please-try.668/&

As you will see there are 2 files inside the zip. One is called sd_bootloader.bin and that is the bootloader. If you dont update this file, it wont update the multi when you copy a file flash.img. Actually the best thing you can do is just upload the bootloader and to check that it has been probably updated, power cycle but this time with the file called flash.img. If it was deleted, it means everything went OK.

Attachments

• sd_bootloader.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 220
I think he said he's updated just by sd card before. If that's the case the bootloader should be correct.

Next, I disconnected the dupont connections and flashed SFIIX using my old directory. After reset the game works just fine.
So you mean that games with keyfile for dead battery with all FFFFFFFF work?

I think he said he's updated just by sd card before. If that's the case the bootloader should be correct.
Right, this is from the original CPS2 multi batch so I had to update the bootloader in order to flash the auto reset flash.img - that worked fine and the auto boot feature works correctly.
So you mean that games with keyfile for dead battery with all FFFFFFFF work?
Yes, just tested one.

OK so I hooked the discovery programmer back up and reflashed the bootloader once more.

This fixed up the problem and new firmware works great! :thumbsup:

I was curious whether having removed EXC1 and EXC5 would cause problems with key writing, but nope - we're all good!!

No idea why the updated bootloader stopped accepting flash.img files and needed to be reflashed though.

OK so I hooked the discovery programmer back up and reflashed the bootloader once more.

This fixed up the problem and new firmware works great! :thumbsup:

I was curious whether having removed EXC1 and EXC5 would cause problems with key writing, but nope - we're all good!!

No idea why the updated bootloader stopped accepting flash.img files and needed to be reflashed though.
Glad that it ended up well! :thumbsup:

So I finally had some time to install my new Multi
IMG_0910.jpg
I even went straight for the new firmware key writing upgrade. Although I have to admit I was a little worried about killing it before I'd even managed to use it. Turns out that if you watch and read all the necessary info its not too hard to get a perfectly working updated multi. The most annoying bit for me was seating the A and B boards once I'd finished. With the cover all screwed together I just couldn't seem to get it to seat properly and ended up taking the top off seating it then just clipping the cover on without the screws. Not ideal but working for now.
IMG_0914.jpg
I know they aren't quite as good looking but a grey series 3 MVC board was the only suicided one I had to use.

Thanks to @Darksoft, @Mitsurugi-w and all the other people involved in making this EPIC piece of kit.

Oh yeah.... I know, I forgot to buy the case for the screen. I want to get one that matches the blue of the cab.

I forgot to buy the case for the screen. I want to get one that matches the blue of the cab.
I have blue available now...

blue_cps2.jpg

Though, if you're also interested in a holster I won't have those up for sale until sometime this weekend.

I could also print a custom silver one to match your CPS2 unit if that's something you wanted.

EDIT: Click the link in my signature if you'd like to order any of my 3d printed stuff.

Last edited:
I forgot to buy the case for the screen. I want to get one that matches the blue of the cab.
I have blue available now...
blue_cps2.jpg

Though, if you're also interested in a holster I won't have those up for sale until sometime this weekend.

I could also print a custom silver one to match your CPS2 unit if that's something you wanted.
PM'd

I've finally got around to getting the new firmware, downloading the new rollup pack (thanks SM!) and this morning, I made a cable

I had all the right colours of wire, so I decided to make a CPS2 region themed cable for something different (the case the CPS2 multi is in is grey) :D

I also finally got around to making a CN12 cable for my Pi netboot setup, much more convenient than running another cable to power the Pi outside the cab!

File 9-12-17, 11 04 57.jpeg

You can netboot using a Pi for CPS2? Please provide insight and link for instructions? I love not having to touch my Naomi netboot setup.

Jassin- where did you get that SD card slot extension from? Im liking that exterior setup.

You can netboot using a Pi for CPS2? Please provide insight and link for instructions? I love not having to touch my Naomi netboot setup.

Jassin- where did you get that SD card slot extension from? Im liking that exterior setup.
No, the Pi netboots the Naomi :) I just made a cable to power the Pi using the NAOMI rather than having to use an external power supply

The CPS2 is all powered through the JAMMA edge

I just installed the wires onto my multi kit and connected up the CN9 connector, pulled out the microSD card to load the new firmware onto and..... the first card reader I used decided to kill the microSD card - it now doesn't read as anything and tells me to format it, then tells me it can't format it. I put it in a different reader on a different computer and dead. :(

So for now - here is a photo of my new wiring installed and I am going to get a new microSD :)

File 9-12-17, 14 10 09.jpeg

Edit: Just to make life more interesting my computer now won't read the microSD card properly (Macbook Air - Googling suggests this is a known issue) so I'm going to have to get an external reader at some point >:/

Further edit: Never mind, found another card reader, got the multi flashed and the rollup pack loaded - Progear now running on the multi and I installed my NAOMI netboot setup back into the Cyber Lead with the new power wire I made today, it's terrible outside (storms all weekend) so I've got an excuse to play some games :)

File 9-12-17, 16 31 41.jpeg

Last edited:
Back