What's new
Without a CF card in the reader, I get error 25 as well.
Did you update your dimm firmware with the latest (hacked) version that supports any brand of compact flash?
Maybe it's a bad cf2ide adapter. You could connect it to an old pc with an ide interface to see if it works in there.

Error 24 "GD-ROM is not found" is the error you get when an original gdrom system can't read a disk. In case of compact flash I would assume it's what you get if 1 of the the 2 bin files are missing or incorrect. Do you know what filename your security pic is expecting? It's usually ABC.BIN or XYZ.BIN, but it could be something else as well. You can try remaming the file on the compact flash card to see if it makes a difference.

I updated my firmware, don't know if it's the right one. All cf2ide readers work on the pc, I changed them and tried about 4 pieces of the same type. Also tried to rename xyz to ABC and back. What makes me thinking is that it will not even load the game and gives me a error later..

Attachments

• IMG_20190420_092326.jpg
    IMG_20190420_092326.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 71
Thanks so much, now all is running perfect. My cf is booting in 1.41.
Strange thing is that the more expensive 4gb Transcend 133x takes longer than the normal 512mb Transcend.
For me its perfect and 1.41 is totally ok :)

So, your booting a CF card and your Media board is 1.41? The above post showed you were at v1.12, how did you update it to boot CF Card?

In 1 minute and 41 seconds :).
I think my firmware wasn't already updated before. Can't remember....

ha! that makes since :) I just updated a bunch of chihiro's .. just waiting for some supercaps to come in for the baseboards.

Attachments

• my_collection.jpg
    my_collection.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 85
Just unsolder that supercap and call it a day.
It's there to keep the system settings when you replace the CR2032 battery.
And it's not like you need to replace that battery every year.

pfft, who needs settings... :D

I assume the Xbox MB SuperCap is useless as well?

Yes. It's even more useless as the chihiro uses the real time clock on the base board that is powered by the cr2032 battery.
It also leaks more often and causes more damage if it does.

@obcd, Thanks! They will just be purged to exile then.. side question. Does the serial port on the baseboard actually have any communications on it? i have a baseboard that appears dead... ( solid green, no blinking red ) on interface.. but doesnt appear to boot..

The baseboard serial port connector pads (looks ready to install a db 9 connector) are a leftover from development. It looks like the firmware for the 2 microcontrollers was developed connecting them to pc usb ports. That's the purpose of the usb type B connector solder pads on the board. You will also find solder pads for a number of diagnostic leds that aren't mounted. If I remember well, the 2 microcontrollers both have 2 serial ports. The qc microcontroller uses one of those for it's JVS communication. The SC has one that can be set to midi or serial. Sega used midi to communicate to it's steering force feedback board. Namco uses serial for it's cardreader. Some games use serial for a Happ steering force feedback controller.

I can't remember what the second serial is used 4 (should dig trough numerous notes to find it back) Basically, the microcontrollers load their firmware from an eeprom connected to them. It's the QC and SC version you see in one of the test menu's. If those show up there, the microcontrollers on the base board are working. The 2 microcontrollers communicate with the system using gameport 3 and 4 (One port for the QC and the other for the SC)

Do you have video output with that defective board or does the screen stay black?

Screen stays totally black. i have confirmed the xbox main board works fine by switching out the baseboard.

As far as I could analyse the circuit, the microcontrollers on the baseboard are not involved in the video processing. The video signal comes in trough the avip cable.
The xbox mobo uses 3 lines to determine the type of video cable connected to it's avip port. Those lines go to 3 dipswitches on the filterboard in case of chihiro. They are all 3 set to on which corresponds to scart RGB in case of a normal xbox. The chihiro bios interprets this differently and outputs a 640 x 480 x 60Hz video signal with sync on green. You will find an LM1881 on the baseboard that is used to extract the composite sync from the green video signal. The video signals passes some cmos gates and can probably be routed to the db15 vga connector or to the unused connector next to it. There are some 6V2 transorb zeners on the signals. I had one of those that became shorted causing no sync to the monitor. The video circuits on the base board get their power (5V) from the usb gameports. They are a pain to repair as you need the dimm connected as well to get video in the first place.

Sorry if i missed this somehow. How do you update the firmware on a Chihiro Type 3?

Last edited:
in that case just send the firmware file via ethernet as you would do with any regular game.

Back