What's new
For Sale
@ReplicaX. I dunno, I've never had an issue across half a dozen AWSD's and Egret 3's I've owned, or the 1 Vewlix I have with them. I'll assume I just have good luck!

I can't be bothered to fix Taito or the previous game center or whoever being cheap on my own unless they actually fail, so it's Weiya until they die, then I'll put something nicer in its place.
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't blame you from an economical sense at all or keeping it factory as long as possible when logical.
I've helped a lot of ppl with Weiya stuff and I think that is the huge issue.

While you have had good luck, my biggest advice is keeping an eye on those Chassis and PSU Caps. If you have anything odd happen, look those pcbs over. When you compare Wei-ya pcbs to others, you can spot the shotty line work. Poor soldering, poor solder, and wonder if they even have QC folks. They are known to sneak in lesser quality components as well to keep production costs down. Why for example, when Taito was bought out, they stopped making their own stuff to reduce production costs as the JP was shrinking.

They remind me a lot of Ming Dong as far as production line QC goes.

I don't know, Ming Dong is on another level of poor quality control. It's the only brand of PSU I've ever had fail on me.

I have a spare Rodotron chassis here. I was thinking of putting quality caps on it and going over the soldering. Apparently, Jomac had these running for three years straight, 18hrs / day. Mine will never see that kind of use, so hopefully will be good for a long while yet.

I don't know, Ming Dong is on another level of poor quality control. It's the only brand of PSU I've ever had fail on me.

I have a spare Rodotron chassis here. I was thinking of putting quality caps on it and going over the soldering. Apparently, Jomac had these running for three years straight, 18hrs / day. Mine will never see that kind of use, so hopefully will be good for a long while yet.
From what I read somewhere they installed a fan to blow cool air over them + did a full reflow on them to keep them running...

From what I read somewhere they installed a fan to blow cool air over them + did a full reflow on them to keep them running...
Yes, he did a full recap/reflow out of the box and installed 12v cooling fans over the chassis and the neckboard. I remember reading up on it on AO somewhere as I was thinking of using one as a replacement for a ms9, but I ended up getting a ms9 from yaton.

Edit: found it: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Rodotron_666

I've spent the last two hours recapping the Rodotron. Unfortunately, there's a huge issue with these chassis, something that wasn't obvious 15 years ago straight of the assembly line. Rodotron / Wei-Ya / whoever manufactured this junk used this orange glue to tack down a bunch of components. Well, it seems as it ages it becomes corrosive. See this jumper right below the cap:

corrosive_crap.jpg

Guess what was previously covered in glue?

And guess else what else is covered in glue?

corrosive_crap_2.jpg

All the custom parts!

I spent 30 minutes scraping off all of this crap, but I'm sure the damage has already been done.

Attachments

• corrosive_crap_3.jpg
    corrosive_crap_3.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 86
I've spent the last two hours recapping the Rodotron. Unfortunately, there's a huge issue with these chassis, something that wasn't obvious 15 years ago straight of the assembly line. Rodotron / Wei-Ya / whoever manufactured this junk used this orange glue to tack down a bunch of components. Well, it seems as it ages it becomes corrosive. See this jumper right below the cap:

Guess what was previously covered in glue?

And guess else what else is covered in glue?

All the custom parts!

I spent 30 minutes scraping off all of this crap, but I'm sure the damage has already been done.
Yep, I feel your pain as this is part of the reason why I don't touch them anymore. How does the soldering look on it?

Soldering looks OK. I can see why Jomac put a fan on these, there's an 1" x 1" area that has three large resistors and five large diodes that runs super hot. On the solder side the PCB has turned brown and the contacts are more or less gone. I had to jump a few traces.

Still waiting for the rest of the parts to come in the mail. If it has issues after recapping, I think I'll salvage whatever is worth salvaging and bin it. I don't think it's worth the time and effort to fix.

Please hold off on paying the remainder of the balance on your cabs. I just found out only 35 cab made it into the container. Let me figure out which one is missing, if any, before we carry on.

Please hold off on paying the remainder of the balance on your cabs. I just found out only 35 cab made it into the container. Let me figure out which one is missing, if any, before we carry on.
Every group buy has something...

Every group buy has something...
And it has been raining like mad in NorCal. I am sure the snow is falling nice and thick at the stateline near Reno right now too. It is going to make for a fun drive up for us local picker-uppers. But I think we covered this subject over here today.

Yeah I'm concerned about my first container coming next week. I should have space for everything if I have to hold it a few extra days, but it'll still complicate things ):

I simply appreciate that there are group buys still going on. Thanks for the hard work you've put into this Cereth. I will likely be interested in future ones if you do another, especially if you find a few good to decent shape NAC's :)

Yeah I'm concerned about my first container coming next week. I should have space for everything if I have to hold it a few extra days, but it'll still complicate things ):
Set the date and time brutha and we will be there. Looking forward to that buffet quality Nevada lobster tail at Boomtown. Plus, I could use a few days off work.

I guess update for public, everything for customs has been handled for now until arrival notice, if we want to plan something different for arrival now would be a good time to start talking about it! If there's any option for two trucks to meet in the bay somewhere, can start talking.

I guess update for public, everything for customs has been handled for now until arrival notice, if we want to plan something different for arrival now would be a good time to start talking about it! If there's any option for two trucks to meet in the bay somewhere, can start talking.
@theoddtech and I are still willing to give a hand moving things around if something like that happens. I know we're taking 5 down. Wouldn't save us much time or gas to get it from the bay area, but would save driving through potentially snowy mountain roads.

I guess it'd be up to the bay area locals, really, for setting it up. But they wouldn't be doing it alone at least!

@XeD, now that it's been a few days, any word on what's gone missing?

As soon as mine arrives with the Ami I’ll have sti contact you. I am also curious @XeD as to what was missing.

What would you need @Cereth? A staging area? Can you describe further? Also, need a date that you might need these things by.

A staging area I think mainly. It would save money to do something in the Bay or Sacramento for example, but it's not just about the cost. Like rewrite said, weather. I'm about to receive my next container on scheduled snow days and it makes me miserable just to think about. While you guys sound stoked by the idea of coming up for a bit of a break, now is probably a really crappy time to do it lol

A back-to-back unloading we've done before, but it's a pain. Essentially unloading the container onto a lift gate truck, and using the gate to drop them to ground level. I think either way I'll have to truck stuff back up over the pass, but might be easier to not make you guys do that. I'll see if we can open a better line of communication soon and start ironing things out! A lot on the plate right now to handle

In Canada we don't have much of a choice. Basically if you want to leave your house anytime between November and March it's probably going to be a snow day lol.

Back